PDA

View Full Version : Coralife Superskimmers?

Rikko
05-19-2005, 04:17 AM
Anybody tried one yet? I read some pretty positive stuff on RC for this low-end, HOB skimmer. I saw one on the anemone/clown tank at King Ed but it didn't look like they were finished setting it up.
I'm toying with the idea of putting the 225G model on my 65.

Troy F
05-19-2005, 04:39 AM
I had a good look at one over at J&Ls. The one negative that was immediately apparent is how difficult it will be to clean. I saw a thread on RC that was very positive towards it.

Fishguy52
03-10-2006, 03:42 AM
Is there always a mist of Bubbles in the aquarium with the super skimmers? Or maybe I have it set up incorrect. If any one knows how to stop this please help, Thanks

Static
03-10-2006, 04:24 AM
How long have you had your skimmer set up? After mine broke in I found that I didn't even need the foam/bubble trap anymore. I have a few small bubbles, but not so many that they are distracting or anything. I have the 65 gallon one on my 15 gallon reef.

My biggest complaint is the size of the pump when you're using it as a hob unit.

I've never cleaned the inside of the skimmer. I have a couple featherdusters growing in there now, doesn't seem to be a real problem.

fishmanty
03-10-2006, 05:17 AM
Got mine used on the board. There are lots of bubbles, even with the bubble trap for the first month or so... expecially on new tanks. Now that its been running for over 2 mths, not a bubble in sight... might take off the bubble trap. I agree with that the size of the pump is rather large, but in a larger tank, if you put it in the corner, its not overly noticeable.

Only bad thing with them, as compared to a.. say remora, is they overflow onto the carpet if you don't set them right. Getting them set is the biggest thing! New ones are apperently harder to get set right. If you add water to the tank and the skimmer is set at max, it will overflow because water flow in the tank, raises the level in the skimmer, and thus pushes it out the top.

Overall, I love it. Once you get used to it, its a breeze.

RonPeter
03-10-2006, 05:42 AM
My micro bubbles stopped after the skimmer broke in as well.

robzilla
03-10-2006, 12:38 PM
check out this webpage for some tips and tricks
http://www.tylermerrick.com/index.php?page=css_notes

digital-audiophile
03-10-2006, 02:15 PM
I get lots of micro bubbles, but then again I only run the skimmer part time. I'm actually thinking of getting something different as I am using this skimer as a HOB on my 37 cube and it akes up alot of space. I think they would be great in a sump but I kind of regret getting one for a hob application.

Fishguy52
03-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the info, the help is great. My LFS says that you don’t have to skim so I was lost for a little while.

Willow
03-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Thanks everyone for the info, the help is great. My LFS says that you don’t have to skim so I was lost for a little while.

you don't, but it's not a bad idea.

also check this out.
http://www.tylermerrick.com/index.php?page=css_notes

adidas
03-25-2006, 10:29 PM
I bought the super skimmer 3004, Started it up last night, already it is working awesome. IMO a Great Skimmer for $229.

prosnow
03-25-2006, 10:52 PM
very nice skimmer,

adidas
03-25-2006, 10:55 PM
yup, i like it. dennis at gold's swears by them

adidas
04-05-2006, 10:08 PM
here it is in action

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/adidas28/superskimmer002.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/adidas28/superskimmer003.jpg

BMW Rider
04-05-2006, 10:28 PM
I have the smallest one running on my 50 gallon FOWLR. It is in sump, and is doing a great job.

Sssnake
05-22-2006, 06:20 PM
Greetings to the forum.

I have the Coralife Super Skimmer 220 (HOB) and it does a great job so far. I just installed it last week. I also did away with the bubble defuser and placed a sponge in its place. No micro bubbles at all. I may try using it with nothing at all connected around the output pipe (like a member here suggested) and see what happens.

Cheers.

reefburnaby
05-23-2006, 06:11 AM
Hi,

I have got the 3004 about a month ago. It works quite well but I need to readjust it when I blow detrius around (it just goes crazy). Cleaning is okay....similar in difficulty as to a Remora Pro. Good value but I am concerned about the availability of parts (mainly impelors and pumps) for the skimmer. Mine runs in sump.

It replaced an aging Remora Pro after my Mag 7 died.

- Victor.