PDA

View Full Version : Algal turf scrubber: any experience with this?

trilinearmipmap
05-18-2005, 04:04 PM
Just wondering who is running one of these. I have a refugium and macro growth seems to be slow.

andresont
05-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Just wondering who is running one of these. I have a refugium and macro growth seems to be slow.

Me too but grows OK i add Lugols , Tech-1 and Iodide, T5 2 feetx2 lighting
3 inch sugar size sand bed.
I think it works fine , but I dont see any significant difference with or without it
Next time will do the same but with less sand bed

BCOrchidGuy
05-18-2005, 04:41 PM
If your macro algae growth is slow and you measure nitrates and get a reading of about zip, take that to mean you've found a good balance between feeding and water changes. If you have nitrates show up on your test you may want to find something to increase macro growth, more light etc or another type of macro algae.

Doug

Doug
05-19-2005, 02:37 PM
I have been running a large turf scrubber for years now. Have a look in my gallery for pics. I will post more later.

muck
05-19-2005, 02:41 PM
I have been running a large turf scrubber for years now. Have a look in my gallery for pics. I will post more later.
Boy it sure would be nice to have that direct link to Doug's gallery now Titus.. :mrgreen:
*hint* *hint*

Willow
05-19-2005, 04:14 PM

turn your skimmer off for a few days and you will see your macros take off!

trilinearmipmap
05-19-2005, 04:19 PM
I understand that an algal turf scrubber is much more efficient at nutrient removal than a refugium with macroalgae. Cycles of wet/dry in the scrubber allow more CO2 supply to grow the algae better. That is why I am considering building an algal turf scrubber.

johnny rock
05-19-2005, 07:03 PM
hmmm wouldn't run out and build one just yet. theres a reason they went the way of the dinos. apperently they try'd a test at some university with reef tanks and scrubbers. they could never get nitrates down to decent levels. skimmers also supply mucho o2 which is really needed for many many reasons. I'd like nothing better than NOT to have a skimmer but I think its very needed.

Willow
05-19-2005, 07:30 PM
I'd like nothing better than NOT to have a skimmer but I think its very needed.

no it isnt. i run a stocked 90 with a large fuge and 0 nitrates.

Doug
05-19-2005, 09:19 PM
hmmm wouldn't run out and build one just yet. theres a reason they went the way of the dinos. apperently they try'd a test at some university with reef tanks and scrubbers. they could never get nitrates down to decent levels. skimmers also supply mucho o2 which is really needed for many many reasons. I'd like nothing better than NOT to have a skimmer but I think its very needed.

Hi Johnny;
Where did you find that info? I have seen near every turf scrubber thread in recent years and never seen that stated. There are at least 3 lonh threads on RC, with lost of pics and the such.

If anything, I would say they are very efficient in the removal of nitrates, plus ammonia, nitrite, phosphate and some heavy metals.

However IMO, the scrubber screen size is under rated, I suppose somewhat like skimmers. :lol: Mine was the large unit, once made by Inland Aquatics. It retailed at near $800 Canadian, but it was a beautiful looking unit, to sit at top of your tank.

In the 4yrs. of my use, I have found it to be very helpful with the filtration, but on my larger tanks, with my heavy feeding, I have not had success without a skimmer also.

johnny rock
05-20-2005, 03:05 PM
I read it on RC in a thread that was pretty cool but it was sometime back.
the thing about skimmers also is that they supply copius amounts of o2 and that in itself is why I prefer them over a scrubber. also, if something dies while your gone at least the skimmer would react a lot faster than a scrubber. so just those 2 benefits to me out gun a scrubber. I have a refugium as well. but a skimmer is a piece of mind. IMO