PDA

View Full Version : Aquasafe RO/DI - again

whaase
05-17-2005, 11:37 PM
Anyone noticed a bit of slimy water? I ran the new unit for a hour before filling a 40g container. I've made up a full container to have on hand, I put a powerhead and heater in it running 24/7. I noticed today the it looked a bit murky and had a slight slim feel to it. I dumped it out and I'm currently making up more. Just wondering if this was normal or something different?

Walter

kari
05-18-2005, 12:00 AM
Kind of strange. I haven't noticed anything similar as of yet but I have heard one comment of the DI resin being suspect to problems. Seems to taste fine and I don't have any strange growths. No abnormal symptoms including nausea, headaches or diarea yet.

whaase
05-18-2005, 12:06 AM
The only reason I even looked for it was my skimmer is acting a bit weird, I was just trying to narrow it down to something... see what happens with the next batch.

Walter

SJSobczyk
05-18-2005, 03:02 AM
Thats funny you say that. I have been running my aquasafe RO/DI for about a month now and my skimmer has been going nuts. It is producing like it never has before. We drink plenty of water in a day and never any issues, but it seems to have an issue with my skimmer. IF you figure anything out please let me know!

Cheers,
Steve

whaase
05-18-2005, 03:56 AM
I'm going to disable the DI (DI seemed greasy when I was putting it in) and see what happens with just RO. I'll let you know what happens.

Walter

LostMind
05-18-2005, 04:27 AM
tds meter?

My aquasafe unit puts out 1 tds... non slimey feeling water too.

whaase
05-18-2005, 01:32 PM
I used our bottled water this morning to top up. It already is making a difference. I'll keep using bottled water and see over the next few days. If that's the problem, then I need to find out why the filter is causing it...

Walter

SJSobczyk
05-18-2005, 03:10 PM
My tds is at 3 right now. Then again i am going to give it time before i make any rash decisions. Right now it is still not causing any issues so beside the slimy feeling i am not really worried!

Steve

danny zubot
05-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Have you flushed the waste water yet Walter?

whaase
05-18-2005, 04:25 PM
I'm not sure what you mean? All the wast water goes directly down the drain. When I first got it, I ran it for about 1/2 hr (all water down the drain) Since then I've made about 50g. It all seems to have a slight murky look to it. When I top up my sump (I only do it once a day) my skimmer goes nuts and fills my cup in about 10 minuts. By the next morning, the skimmer has settled down a bit... I don't know enough about the RO/DI to really know what is going on. I know the DI beads were wet when I got them (all sealed up in a package), they felt a little slimey then, but I figured It would flush out. Is there something I'm missing?

Walter

Have you flushed the waste water yet Walter?

christyf5
05-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Well, IMO, running it for a half hour with everything going down the drain probably only sent a few litres of water through your DI cartridge depending on your water pressure. In order to flush it properly you may have to run it longer. I would run it for at least 5 gallons worth and then discard that and see if you have better results afterwards.

Christy :)

BCOrchidGuy
05-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Christy, so any idea what is causing the slime is that normal for RO/DI? Shouldn't the DI be removing anything that passes through the RO?

Doug

christyf5
05-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Christy, so any idea what is causing the slime is that normal for RO/DI? Shouldn't the DI be removing anything that passes through the RO?

Doug

My setup has the water going through the RO first and then the DI so nothing would be catching any slimy water produced in my system. I don't know how the newer systems are set up.

Perhaps the DI beads may be coated in something to keep them moist since they are open to air if that canister is refillable?? I have the enclosed canister for DI beads (replace the whole cartridge) and I run at least a bucket of water (about 2.5 gallons) through it and toss that before I start making any water that is going to go in the tank. Just as a precaution.

Walter, perhaps you should try contacting Aquasafe. I know its a hit or miss getting ahole of them, but just to check and see whats up with your DI beads.

whaase
05-18-2005, 04:51 PM
I've made about 50g total. Last night I dumped the container I was using and made about 15g of new water. When I looked this morning, it had the same feel and look to it. I'd think for sure after 35g it should be rinsed/cleaned out? Tonight I'll disable the DI and see what happens with the RO only.

Walter

Well, IMO, running it for a half hour with everything going down the drain probably only sent a few litres of water through your DI cartridge depending on your water pressure. In order to flush it properly you may have to run it longer. I would run it for at least 5 gallons worth and then discard that and see if you have better results afterwards.

BCOrchidGuy
05-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Okay Christy, was curious about that. It wouldn't make sense for DI to be exposed to the water first because it removes more than RO does and you'd exaust your DI quicker. This way, (RO first) the RO unit removes somewhere around 90%-95% of the contaminants and the DI removes the rest.
Your idea about maybe the DI resins have something on them is a good thought, I didn't know that they needed to be kept moist (DOH I remember hearing that now) That sure would make sense then.

Doug

christyf5
05-18-2005, 05:00 PM
I've made about 50g total. Last night I dumped the container I was using and made about 15g of new water. When I looked this morning, it had the same feel and look to it. I'd think for sure after 35g it should be rinsed/cleaned out? Tonight I'll disable the DI and see what happens with the RO only.

Walter

Yeah I'd be wondering what was up. Thats more than enough water to run through to get rid of whatever was in your DI. What temp water are you running through your unit?? Maybe up the temp to lukewarm or something?? Just a suggestion.

whaase
05-18-2005, 05:01 PM
What's even more weird, is my AquaC 150 seemed to work fine. When I replaced it with the ER, I thought there was something wrong with the skimmer... It was getting frusterating! Atleast I have something to blame now! :lol:

Walter

danny zubot
05-18-2005, 06:23 PM
the RO unit removes somewhere around 90%-95% of the contaminants and the DI removes the rest.
I thought it didn't matter because they remove different things. RO is removing physical particals down to a certain micron, while DI is changing other contaminants on a molecular level. Its not really the same type of filtration; Am I wrong?

Walter, I would bypass the DI cannister and maybe try rinsing them with water separately. Maybe try testing the beads separately to see if it is them that slimes up your water. If there is a lubricant on them that would explain why it messes with your skimmer. Fatty foods like mysis will do the same thing.

whaase
05-18-2005, 08:06 PM
Alright, how long should I have flushed the membrane? How often does it need to be done?

Walter

danny zubot
05-18-2005, 08:10 PM
They said in the instructions about once a month for a few minutes depending on use. I would just call them up or email them with this issue, they might have better advice.

christyf5
05-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Well after sending 50gallons through it I would expect to not be still getting any "slimy" water. I think your problem sounds more serious than just the usual. Have you tried taking off the DI and just running a few gallons through the RO??

whaase
05-18-2005, 08:22 PM
Thats my next step :smile:

Walter

Well after sending 50gallons through it I would expect to not be still getting any "slimy" water. I think your problem sounds more serious than just the usual. Have you tried taking off the DI and just running a few gallons through the RO??

BCOrchidGuy
05-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Danny no you aren't wrong but DI will remove everything, you'll end up with the same quality water with just a DI filter as you would an RO unit, the membranes on RO filter out toxins, gasses pesticides etc but they just can't get them all, so DI polishes the water.

Doug