PDA

View Full Version : Joel's moment of stupidity...

jgoldsney
05-17-2005, 12:26 AM
Well just when ya think you are finished with the reeeealyyy stupid aquarium mistakes......

When I installed my hallides I nticed that there was a white hazy film on the inside of my glass (only on the starfire front of course) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well after some reading I determined that the glass had been etched and that the only way to remove it was to wash by acid. Well seeing as how the tank was already full and stocked I was stuck......Or so I thought, I found a few guys who had similar issues and had managed to polish the inside of the tank while full using fine grit wet dry.

After a test run in an inconspicuous area I sandwiched the paper between my cleaning magnet and the glass and started to work. Well it works but it is very slow and hard going.

Jump forward to last Monday.....I got home from work late in the evening but decided to give the tank a quick once over. I get a new peice of sandpaper setup and start to work only to hear an unusual grinding noise........yep you guesed it I put the paper on the WRONG SIDE OF THE GLASS and without the water to lubricate it there was a large 3" wide band of scratches AIEEEEEEEE

Well I lucked out in that all of the scratches are pretty fine and I should be able to polish them out but what a pain!!!!

Sigh

Any ideas to get rid of the haze or speed up the polishing process

albert_dao
05-17-2005, 01:39 AM
Wow, that's pretty sucky!

When I was young and less learned (13), I purchased a cluster of bubble algae (Valonia) for $20 from an Oh-so-honest dealer here in Calgary and tossed it into my tank because it looked cool.

That was great.

Murminator
05-17-2005, 01:55 AM

When I was young and less learned (13), I purchased a cluster of bubble algae (Valonia) for $20 from an Oh-so-honest dealer here in Calgary and tossed it into my tank because it looked cool.

That was great.

I am honestly trying not to laugh.......... :rofl: ....couldn't help it :razz:

Willow
05-17-2005, 02:07 AM
http://www.absoluteanime.com/admin/homer-doh.gif

DEAD_BY_DAWN
05-17-2005, 02:23 AM
I think my best moment was after smoking a rather large joint about 10y/o,i remembered what my friend told me that dirty aquarium water is great for house plants,well after watering all my plants and the high was wearing off ,i then remebered that it was only dirty freshwater not saltwater...duh :rolleyes:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-17-2005, 02:52 AM
John,

That was last week. :lol:

Anthony

johnny rock
05-17-2005, 11:11 AM
I to have STARPHIRE glass and this is the first I've heard about the glass being hazy! are you 100% sure? I don't know of any company [PPG] selling unfinished glass.

jgoldsney
05-17-2005, 03:01 PM
actually it is not a problem with all starfire glass it is just because my tank sat empty for almost a year and apparently if it is in a humid area all glass can have this happen to it. I think that the only reason that it happened only on the starfire font is that from what I understand the starfire glass is a little softer and thus more prone to scratching etc

danny zubot
05-17-2005, 03:03 PM
My dummest mistake was purely accidental but avoidable since hindsight is 20/20.
Putting my 250 watt MH and my 130 watt PC right on top of my glass top. I came home from work one day to a tank full of lights! :redface:
Albert takes the cake though! :razz:

Willow
05-17-2005, 03:29 PM

That was great.

i was at king ed's a while back and a guy was trying to haggle down the price of some aptasia.

muck
05-17-2005, 10:44 PM
That really sucks JG.. :frown:
Hope it doesn't take too much time to buff the scratches out.

jgoldsney
05-19-2005, 01:18 PM
Well things are slowly getting better.....Been way to busy.

I have had someone reccomend some spray from the As Seen on TV store that fills in scratches in glass. They raved about it and said that it worked wonders......I will try it and see how it goes.

Joel