PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Acrylic into a pie shape in lower mainland?

BCOrchidGuy
05-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Hi, I've got a 54 Gal corner tank and the stand has very little room in it for a sump. I've got a 10 gallon tank in there and it just barely fits but there is still room to the side so I was thinking about making a corner sump to fit in it. I figure this would give me a volume of about 16 gallons if I make it 12 in tall.
I need someone who can cut a pie shaped foot for the sump in the 20in long range and have the edges smooth enough to glue acrylic to.
If anyone can do this I'd appreciate some help. I've got a router etc but no attatchement for doing large circular cuts like I need.

Doug

Willow
05-16-2005, 05:03 PM
i would try giving wendel a call at oa.

Delphinus
05-16-2005, 05:04 PM
Would a diamond shaped sump work perhaps? Might be easier than trying to build a curve.

muck
05-16-2005, 05:18 PM
Would a diamond shaped sump work perhaps? Might be easier than trying to build a curve.

Why would you need a curve? :confused:

Delphinus
05-16-2005, 05:47 PM
That's what I thought he was asking, he said something about circular cuts. If I misread it though, then oops sorry.

BCOrchidGuy
05-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Nope Tony you read it correct, a diamond shape would actually just be a square and I'd again be extra limited in volume. The tank is a corner tank so it has the rounded front and the stand is rounded as well. So I have at the back a 90degree area "L" where both the sides have just 21 inches to the curve that forms the front of the stand. Because of that the best I could do for a diamond (square) shaped sump would be about 15x15xH.
If I make the sump 12in tall that would give me just 11 gallons where if I did it as a pie shape I'd have 16 gallons. Yeah I know it's a tall order, I was hoping someone would say Oh that's easy to do if you know what you're doing.

Doug