PDA

View Full Version : Need input on a mysis feeder

trilinearmipmap
05-14-2005, 10:08 PM
I want to make a device to hold my frozen mysis in the tank for the fish to eat.

I have noticed some of my fish do not want to eat the mysis when it is floating in the water column. The minute a coral grabs the mysis, my yellow tang will rip the mysis away and eat it.

It seems these fish are used to grazing off the rocks rather than eating free-floating food. So I want to make a holder to put the mysis in for my fish to eat, so the fish will leave the corals alone, especially my sun coral which is starving due to the Yellow Tang's greedy behaviour.

I thought of two layers of some kind of mesh with small spaces in between, and sandwich the mysis in between the two layers.

Any ideas on what kind of materials to use?

EmilyB
05-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Just another thought, I often sandwich garlic'd mysis in the folds of the nori (then it's banded to a piece of PVC) My fish absolutely adore this.

vanreefer
05-14-2005, 10:53 PM
I usually feed my sun coral after the lights go out and the fish are hiding/sleeping... then I only have the cleaner shrimp to deal with.

hockey nut
05-14-2005, 11:30 PM
If you want to feed your sun corals only . Cut the bottom of a 2l pop bottle of course clean the bottle leave lid on. Put frozen food in bottle and put it over or cover the corals with the bottle. If the food doesn't sink down to the corals open lid insert turkey baster and blast away.

hth.

BCOrchidGuy
05-18-2005, 04:32 PM
How about some Tule (fabric shops etc)orrrrr... a coarse fish net?

Doug