PDA

View Full Version : Something is eating my corals

corper
05-13-2005, 11:35 PM
The last three nights something has been eating away at my devils hand, and my gorgonian. I haven't been able to spot the villian at night, but I really don't know what I'm looking for. Anybody have any suggestions.

Aquattro
05-13-2005, 11:48 PM
I'd look for a worm....

Rikko
05-14-2005, 12:16 AM
If your culprit is wary, try sneaking into the tank room at night and snapping flash photos of the tank. I've seen some pretty interesting stuff in my night shots, and with a flash they look like a normal tank shot with really crappy corals. :)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-14-2005, 01:17 AM
Or try that red LED flashlight from Lee Valley. It might be a hitchhiker crab in your LR or a large bristleworm. I had a large worm that killed or injured several corals before I tore the tank apart & caught/flushed him.

Good luck,

Anthony

corper
05-14-2005, 05:11 AM
Thanks guys! I don't know if it's a worm though. Their are large chunks missing from the corals, I'm thinking a crab. But why now? Nothing new was added to the tank. Maybe it just ran out of it's normal food sorce and now its on the main dish.

If anyone has pics of possible coral eating crabs, I would like to see them. Then I'll know what to look for. Thanks.

untamed
05-16-2005, 01:01 AM
I have many eunicid worms in my tank, and they have a taste for Xenia. I've tried many times to keep Xenia by moving it around the tank. Eventually, they always find it.

So...I don't try to keep Xenia any more. They are not interested in hard corals or clams.

BCOrchidGuy
05-16-2005, 02:03 AM
Jeez Untamed that's to bad, Xenia has always been one of my favorites. Anything eat those worms that you have?

Doug