PDA

View Full Version : lighting and anemone

blood_hound
05-13-2005, 04:12 AM
I recently upgraded my light from T5 to MH because I want to get more clam.Then I notice that my two anemone is moving to a shaded area of the tank my LTA and RBTA move inside the cave.Now my RBTA starting to look really horrible its lossing its color and look like its falling apart. Is it because of the light? the water parameter if fine. is there something I can do or is it dieying? :frown: :frown:

Funky_Fish14
05-13-2005, 04:25 AM
If you were using HO T5, then I would switch back to the T5. They should provide plenty of light for your clams.

What size is your tanks(dimensions), how long were the lights? And what wattage?

Chris

blood_hound
05-13-2005, 04:58 AM
The tank is a 55g. what about the anemone would it still recover?

EmilyB
05-13-2005, 05:08 AM
If you were using HO T5, then I would switch back to the T5. They should provide plenty of light for your clams.

What is your source for this information ?

The anemones could very well be adapting to the new light. They will often retreat, and resume.

mr_alberta
05-13-2005, 05:09 AM
If the anemone is already falling apart and turning to mush, its already too late. Usually 2 types of anemones in the same tank are not a good idea unless the tank is very large or the anemone's are very small.

blood_hound
05-13-2005, 06:13 AM
Usually 2 types of anemones in the same tank are not a good idea unless the tank is very large or the anemone's are very small.

I had them for 4months now and I never had any problem until this past few days when I had change my light?

danny zubot
05-13-2005, 04:21 PM
I agree that your anemones are hidding because they aren't used to the new lights yet. If one of the anemones are dying it could be because it wasn't 100% healthy before the switch, an upgrade in light shouldn't kill an anemone. Even though the RBTA and LTA appeared to be getting along, they may have been competing chemically with each other. From my experience, generally LTA's have more bite than BTA's chemically. If its dying for sure, get it out of there.

Delphinus
05-13-2005, 04:29 PM
Moved to the main reefing forum :biggrin:

jws444
05-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Did you shorten the photoperiod after switching to MH? It's too much of a shock for the anenomes probably.

What species of clams do you have? If you've got croceas or even maximas, then the general rule is 250w+ MH is almost a must for these 2 species. These are light intensity loving species. IMO, T5's won't get them coloured up to their potential and might even starve a crocea. Squamosa, Derasa are probably fine with HO fluroescents however.

johnny rock
05-13-2005, 05:23 PM
good info supply'd. an anenome will move and reappear or acclimate itself to lighting. 2 anenomes in a 55g is 1 to many. they may be fighting as mentioned. also, with MAX and CROC clams MH is a very good investment.

vanreefer
05-13-2005, 08:18 PM
when I swiched from pc to MH/PC.. I put screen door material 3 layers thick between my lights and my tank... took off a layer every week... thus aclimating my tank to a brighter sun than I had before... my RBTA did well and loves the new 250's... also color is improved
JME

blood_hound
05-13-2005, 10:20 PM
Well I hope they are just acclimating.I never had a problem with my two anemone before and has not move around for three months so I nver worry about 2 anemone fighting but right now I think my clown is getting stress because of the anemone keep on moving around.

Update: LTA is doing good it already out to the light and I think it already settle back on the sand. But the RBTA still look horible and thats the anome that has a resident clown :cry:

DanG
05-13-2005, 11:17 PM
When I upgraded from my old NO tubes to 2x96w PC's, my GBTA that had been happy for the previous couple of months moved under a rock. He has started moving out more and more every day.

johnny rock
05-15-2005, 10:34 AM
how often do you feed it? unfortunatly you would have had to remove it anyways. you can't keep 2 anenomes happy in a small tank for very long.
my LTA is now a good 2 feet across! so that would be more than half you tank. not much you can really do but wait to see if it comes around. you will have to remove the clown now and hold him somewere else for awhile

blood_hound
05-15-2005, 02:16 PM
I feed it with shrimp 2x a week.I think my LTA will be happy in there it is only 7 inches and I just remove the RBTA I put it in my lion tank for awhile I don't think it can recover it really look horrible I just hope that my clown will host the LTA soon and my lion will be ok.