PDA

View Full Version : headache from halide shimmer

Invigor
05-13-2005, 03:17 AM
I'm not sure if it -is- the fish tank causing my headaches, but the past few days I've been getting crushing headaches that food and tylenol won't get rid of. It's almost hard to watch my tank now because of the shimmer. Is there a way to get rid of it?

AJ_77
05-13-2005, 03:21 AM
How long per day are you in front of the tank? That just don't sound right... :confused: Time to take a break maybe?

I got a crushing headache after lifting a heavy tank - maybe this hobby has dangers we never anticipated.

Funky_Fish14
05-13-2005, 03:23 AM
Ditch the halide? Lol. I get a slight shimmer even from my PC's.

Sorry to hear about your headaches! You may have a sinus headache that might need antibiotics. Is the pain in the front or back of your head? Also, take 3 pills of advil/tylenol/aspirin at a time not just one or two. My doc told me to do that, hit it hard. I hope you get better!

Chris

Marcus K
05-13-2005, 04:40 AM
Maybe you should bring your Koran over to my place, don't want him getting one. Sounds weird, hope you figure it out.

EmilyB
05-13-2005, 05:05 AM
Get an eye exam for sure. Sometimes stress or eye strain can cause these problems.

Invigor
05-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Get an eye exam for sure. Sometimes stress or eye strain can cause these problems.

my RN girlfriend told me that too..I haven't had any seeing touble, but apparently that doesn't matter.

I'll take 3 tylenol next time. It's right in the frontal lobe. we'll see if I get one again today... :rolleyes:

Maybe you should bring your Koran over to my place, don't want him getting one. Sounds weird, hope you figure it out.

I dunno, he might die, I hear there's something in the water at your place..

Scavenger
05-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Maybe you might want to try a few adjustments on your powerheads. (was going to say "play with your powerheads" but that sounds perverted :lol: ) By changing the amount of suface aggitation, you will change the shimmer effect, (slower/faster, smaller/bigger flash ect) I'd play with this. You may get a differant shimmer you can watch without a headache. Just beware, less surface aggitation means less gas exchange. Don't know, just an idea. But definately get a medical opinion on this. Hate to see you have an epilectic seisure or another condition you didn't know you had.

danny zubot
05-13-2005, 04:11 PM
The tank my adgitate you headaches but it isn't the cause. Unless you injest some zoos or something.
When I was younger I used to get "aura migrains". These are caused by an increase in blood pressure within the arteries around you eyes. It usually occures in fair eyed people, blue-green etc. and makes you very sensitive to light. Dehydration and muscle tension is often the cause but hydration is not always the cure.

Try eating Libton Chicken noodle soup, for the sodium, Coffee for the caffien and Ibuprofin instead of tylonol.

Good luck, I feel for you.

johnny rock
05-13-2005, 04:12 PM
sounds like either a migrane or sinus headache.
migranes can be real light sensitive.

OCDP
05-13-2005, 07:12 PM
yeah I was just about to say that.... it sounds like migranes... with the lights, etc..

if it keeps occuring, don't take any chances... just get your butt to a walk-in clinic and see what's up.

take it easy, hope your feeling better

Invigor
05-13-2005, 09:34 PM
thanks everyone for the ideas. Dehydration could be, I've been drinking quite a bit of orange juice and beer lately (no, not together), and not a lot of straight up water.

Today seems to be ok, no headaches yet. I do have green eyes, so maybe it's just me adjusting to the brighter lights. I know when I'm driving and it's bright outside I get a sore forehead from it.. hmmmm..

maybe it's time to call up my optomotrist

and for some reason, advil doesn't work as well for me as tylenol does, but my sister on the other hand uses advil and not tylenol...go figure.