PDA

View Full Version : new to frags

fishguyxd
05-13-2005, 12:47 AM
So when i get into frags are there a bunch of new supplies I need
I have read briefly about acclmation and drip method can anyone explain more on this or are there are tricks of the hobby

Ie using special glue or special placement in tank feeding etc

rickjames
05-13-2005, 12:52 AM
So when i get into frags are there a bunch of new supplies I need
I have read briefly about acclmation and drip method can anyone explain more on this or are there are tricks of the hobby

Ie using special glue or special placement in tank feeding etc

Not much to it in my opinion. Superglue works best for small pieces or hard coral, with larger pieces the two part epoxy you can buy at the LFS works better. I don't even acclimate mine, i just glue them and plop them in the tank! :biggrin:

Rikko
05-13-2005, 02:26 AM
Are you actually fragging or purchasing frags?
If you're just purchasing them, to be honest, a lot of people don't even secure them to the rockwork - they just balance them or sandwich rocks around the base or whatever. It wreaks havoc when you have big, clumsy things (like massive turbo snails), but it's nice to be able to move things like when, say, your torch coral decides to triple in size and attack everybody.

fishguyxd
05-13-2005, 10:23 PM
when i start to purchase them
I heard of some glue some reefers are using form Can tire?

I have no corals yet, but will be looking to buy soon

Rikko
05-14-2005, 12:13 AM
I've used underwater epoxy and have been collosally disappointed by it.. It's like underwater play-doh. BUT, as long as it's a low-tension bond it works well enough (ie. I mounted a Torch frag onto a bit of LR rubble just fine, but when I tried to secure my rockwork a little bit it just came apart). I bought Aqua-stick from reefgeek (just because I was ordering reflectors anyway) but I've seen that type of stuff at J&L and I'm certain you can get it from non-aquarium suppliers, too. My dad is in the steelworking industry and laughed his ass off when he saw when I spent 10 dollars on when they practically throw the stuff away.

Superglue gel is another popular one - the problem with that is that it skins when it contacts water so you generally need to be pretty generous with it and work FAST. If you can pull the live you're gluing onto out of water and dry it a bit and then dry the contact bit of the frag you'll be in good shape.

Regardless of what you use, I've had the best results when I dried the connecting parts, glued it, and then held it out of water upside down so the coral itself was still submerged. Give it around 5 minutes out of water and it should be sturdy enough.