PDA

View Full Version : wrasse in your reef?

muck
05-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Anyone have any experience with these fish in your reef tank?
Im reading they can be reef safe with caution. Looking to hear personal experiences now, please.. :biggrin:

http://www.muiscontrols.com/ryan/p_76385.jpg
Yellow Coris Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)

http://www.muiscontrols.com/ryan/p_80424.jpg
Yellow & Purple Wrasse (Halichoeres trispilus)

Beverly
05-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Had the yellow wrasse in my 42g when it was set up. Didn't bother corals and got along with everyone else, but I'm sure it picked at the rock quite a bit. Some people find wrasses of most species a little aggressive. Mine didn't seem to be, but then, I added most of my fish around the same time.

Doug
05-12-2005, 08:47 PM
The yellows seem to be good residents. Like to sleep in the sand, pretty good for flatworms, but also compete with mandarins and the such, for pods.

Bad jumpers in a smaller tank.

muck
05-12-2005, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the reply Bev and Doug. What inverts did you have in with them? Im mostly concerned about my cleaner shrimp.

Beverly
05-12-2005, 09:01 PM
No cleaner or peppermint shrimp. But that was because the spotted hawkfish made a pretty fast meal of the peppermints as soon as I introduced them :evil:

SeaShell
05-13-2005, 06:35 PM
I have the top fish (yellow coris) and he's fine with everything and everyone in my tank. I have cleaner shrimp and they all get along.

Zerandise
05-13-2005, 07:56 PM
I have a leopard wrasse in my invert tank and he leaves them alone. I have just under 20 shrimp from tiny sexy shrimp to massive fire shrimp. I also have a large amount of crabs from emerald to decorater. He has never touched them.

Doug
05-14-2005, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the reply Bev and Doug. What inverts did you have in with them? Im mostly concerned about my cleaner shrimp.

I had larger sized cleaners with mine. Never looked at them. Dont know if they would bother small newly added cleaners. I have seen many different fish eat them, including large clowns.

Mine got along well with my leopard wrasse but not with pig headed sixlines. :smile:

BCOrchidGuy
05-15-2005, 03:31 AM
My coris was a fine neighbour to everyone, it hid a lot in the sand though so it wasn't something I saw a lot of.

Doug

SeaShell
05-15-2005, 04:01 AM
Is that where my coris disappears to all the time?! In the sand? I wondered how he hides so well.

Snappy
05-15-2005, 06:34 AM
I have had a Yellow Coris Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) in my tank for 8 months now and it get's along with everything including all inverts. My 6 line wrasse likes to chase it around a bit but the yellow wrasse is no problem so far.
Greg

Squiddy
05-15-2005, 04:26 PM
I've got a yellow banana wrasse in my 90 gallon and haven't had any problems. It's the coral beauty that is nibbling my corals :mad:. Every night the wrasse dives under the sand and sleeps there. I can tell where he dove because a big cloud of dust follows.