PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Cheato

Willow
05-12-2005, 06:22 PM
my sump is basically a big fuge, i have a couple of different macros growing in there. they grow well and i have to thin them out all the time, my nitrates are zero so they must be working. the other day rob gave me a hunk of cheato and i just chucked it in there with everything else. i was looking at RC and people are going on about getting their cheato to roll in the sump. is it necessary for it to roll to be effective and grow? i just assumed that it would grow along with everything else in there.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Mine grew without rolling.

RonPeter
05-13-2005, 02:10 AM
Mine is growing fine without rolling it. :razz:

vanreefer
05-13-2005, 02:56 AM
don't you grow it then roll it? :mrgreen:

AJ_77
05-13-2005, 03:23 AM
haha - roll it! :razz: and dried button polyps are to be eaten like peyote!

doesn't chaeto just have to have flow thru it to prosper?

Willow
05-13-2005, 03:31 AM
there must be something to the rolling as there are people obsessed about the rolling speed of cheato.

EmilyB
05-13-2005, 04:58 AM
If all your algae jumped off the edge of the cliff, would you jump too :mrgreen:

hockey nut
05-13-2005, 06:03 AM
Rolling chaeto, LOL

That reminds me of a funniest home video of that dog.......... I'm pushing a rock , I'm pushing a rock......lol

I sure hope our friends to the south aren't smoking it. :eggface: I wonder if growing chaeto is illegal. Well if it is... I have some triple A cheato for sale. :rolleyes:

Mine sits in some rock and has been growing nicely. Tripled in size in less than a month.

:BIG:

Rikko
05-13-2005, 06:54 AM
Callum.. BUSTED! America's Funniest Home Videos... And that was the Bob Saget era, too. Ouch.

I guess their philosophy behind rolling the chaeto is to get maximum exposue of water borne detritus/crap through all parts of the chaeto, when the attached parts might not see as much... It seems pretty shaky to me. I'd bet money that if you just dropped a weight on top of it and left it in it's "roll tank" you wouldn't see much of a decline in growth.

Pushin' a rock pushin' a rock pushin' a rock pushin' a rock... Turn it around turn it around turn it around... Pushin' a rock pushin' a rock pushin' a rock....

hockey nut
05-15-2005, 02:09 AM
Callum.. BUSTED! America's Funniest Home Videos... And that was the Bob Saget era, too. Ouch

UH!.... I don't know what your talking about.... Bob who?....oh ya ..... I don't have a TV.

:mrgreen:

BCOrchidGuy
05-15-2005, 03:29 AM
So what's cheato?? Is it a macro algae?

Doug

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-15-2005, 04:02 AM
Doug,

Yeah. Cheato is the non-caulerpa macro that is considered one of the best nutrient sponges because it sucks up nitrates but doesn't go sexual. It looks like green steel wool or brilo pad for washing dishes. I have some in all my tanks or HOB refugiums.

Anthony

Rikko
05-15-2005, 06:10 AM
Google chaetomorpha.. It's not particularly attractive but it's a good grower.

BCOrchidGuy
05-16-2005, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the answers.

With my current idea of a low light marine tank, I have to ask, has anyone tried to keep sponges in their sump? I figure with no or low light in there the sponge should do a fine job of removing excess nutrients before they break down.

Doug