PDA

View Full Version : moon lights

golden69_ca
05-12-2005, 05:48 PM
does the color matter on moonlights . i found some that come in white ,blue and red . id think u would want blue over the outhers?

AJ_77
05-12-2005, 05:53 PM
blue for sure

medican
05-13-2005, 03:10 PM
Here is a quote from a moonlight place:

The wavelength of the moon is NOT 470 nanometers (blue) as you may have read elsewhere. The moon reflects the light of the Sun, so it really contains all the colors (white to us). Blue is color the light should be at the depths of the reef. Water is very good at absorbing the higher end (red) of the visible light spectrum (550 nanometers and up). However, water is not as good at absorbing the lower end of the spectrum, where the blue light resides. So at these lower depths, only the blue end remains. This is the reason that blue LEDs, in the 470 nanometer range, are used in most moon lights.

We spend so much time trying to duplicate the ocean reefs I figure why not with the moonlights too.

Hope this helps

golden69_ca
05-14-2005, 01:58 AM
iv have now seen the whites and blue on the tank and the white is white all the way through the tank ? i guess im confused to many choices :confused: . i was also readind that u want a 1000 to 1 ratio for moon lights ie..1000w main light to 1 watt moon light , sounds right?

Rikko
05-14-2005, 03:24 AM
What I love about that is they don't ever want to try and guess what the wavelength (range) of 'the moon' is at depth.

Don't worry about watts of moonlighting - that's totally irrelevant. Look instead for what sort of coverage you want. I find a 4 foot tank starts to look too glowy after 3 LEDs - even a single LED looks good, and you don't have to worry about geometry. Having the lights places at mathematically precise intervals isn't always "right" - when I built the moonlights on my planted tank I used 7 LEDs and 5 of them were on the left side of the tank.. It gave a nice light gradient and several of the fish stayed under it whereas other avoided it completely.

golden69_ca
05-14-2005, 05:04 AM
so stick with the blue ones :confused: i guess .

danny zubot
05-25-2005, 05:17 PM
When I get mine I'm going to aim it diagonally across the tank to try and simulate and moonrise or moonset.

outtafocus
05-25-2005, 10:02 PM
why are some people starting to use the UV leds?
Its almost a purple I think.