PDA

View Full Version : a fresh start for my tank

christyf5
05-11-2005, 02:20 AM
Well I'm hoping this will be a fresh start for me because if it isn't it will be a showy finish.

This picture is from March. You can see the caulerpa growing on most of the lower rocks and creeping upwards. I didn't take any pictures in April as the tank just went downhill from there as the dinoflagellates reemerged to coat everything in yellowy goo. You can see some of the green algae settling in on the back walls and the powerheads are starting to get covered in algae.

http://www3.telus.net/seamonkey68/march142005a.jpg

OK, I lied, I did find a couple of pics from April, just no tank shots. Imagine the first picture all over the lower half of the tank, and the second picture all over the top half. This was the state that pretty much the whole tank was in. The caulerpa had a big bloom and the dinos went crazy and grew on top of the caulerpa. And where there was no caulerpa the dinos were even happier, no competition! :wink:

http://www3.telus.net/seamonkey68/craptastic.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/seamonkey68/craptastic2.jpg

BUT THEN... :mrgreen:

After following a suggestion from Jack (with much apprehension), I powerwashed the rock with the generous loan of BCWolfens powerwasher (I was less timid after seeing how great it was!), I tore the tank down and restarted it with all new water, the powerwashed rock and no sandbed. Those dinos had better be long gone! :biggrin:

The rock was powerwashed 2 weeks ago and sat in rubbermaid tubs for a week and a half while I monitored the water parameters (there was no ammonia spike at all) . So far everything looks fantastic, I'm seeing zoos that haven't been so happy in ages. Polyps out on everybody and everyone is rebounding nicely. The tank has been up for 5 days and while its still early, I'm hoping this will be a great new beginning for me and my tank.

http://www3.telus.net/seamonkey68/May92005a.jpg[/img]

whaase
05-11-2005, 02:27 AM
WOW, looks 10 times better! I have my fingers crossed for you! :biggrin:

Walter

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-11-2005, 02:29 AM
That's great Christy. Hopefully you can begin to enjoy your tank again, instead of being so frustrated.

Anthony

Coldwater
05-11-2005, 02:54 AM
Looking really good. How big is it?

Matt

EDITED: Is that a fish on the left side? If so its really cool.

Matt

christyf5
05-11-2005, 03:14 AM
Thanks guys. I'm starting to get excited about the hobby again. :mrgreen:

Matt, its a 90 gallon tank and that is my twinspot wrasse on the left side:

http://www3.telus.net/seamonkey68/myawesomewrasse1.jpg

cindyt
05-11-2005, 03:21 AM
Wow-what a difference in pictures..looks great!

Hopefully everything stays 'as it should' now,and you can enjoy the hooby again :)

andestang
05-11-2005, 03:29 AM
That looks great Christy :cool: Seems everyone that does the BB has success. Hope the same goes for you. What type of filter set-up are you running?

christyf5
05-11-2005, 03:38 AM
Ande, I just have chemi-pure, the rock and an Euroreef skimmer. I'm hoping to do biweekly water changes, siphoning any detritus buildup from the bottom of the tank but I will have to watch as it builds up, I may be doing it weekly instead of biweekly depending on how it goes.

Christy :)

Aquattro
05-11-2005, 04:09 AM
Christy, I'll start growing out some frags for you. This time it's gonna fly!!

Funky_Fish14
05-11-2005, 04:28 AM
Wow Christy, It looks great now! I have my fingers crossed that everything goes well for you!

Chris

Scavenger
05-11-2005, 04:32 AM
Wha hoo!!!! Christy's Reef is back and thriving!!! Way to go.

By the way, that's a real pretty blue fish you have there. :lol:

Jack
05-11-2005, 04:42 AM
Looks awesome Christy. Glad you're happy.

Must be nice to be rid of all that gross algae!

I'll have frags for you when you're out this way.

See you around.

BCWolfen
05-11-2005, 04:54 AM
Christy,

THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!! What a difference. I'd love to come by and see in person sometime soon. The new rock layout really works.

For your BB did you put eggcrate under the rock or place it right on the glass?

christyf5
05-11-2005, 05:20 AM
Hey thanks for all the frag offers guys! You rock!! :biggrin:

Gerald, you're welcome to pop by anytime (heck anyone is, I'm so happy to show off the tank now :wink:). The rock is just sitting on the bottom. I didn't want anything blocking the flow and accumulating crap underneath the rock. I think that is key to the success of the BB method, the ability to export all the detritus you can via siphon hose. So far I have a little pile accumulating near the finger leather on the left but most of that is errant sand I missed sucking out with the shop vac.

Ken, Nori is quite the showy fish, she certainly adds color to the tank. I was going to ask her if you wanted her back but she just looks too darned pretty in there :wink:

Christy :)

AJ_77
05-11-2005, 05:37 AM
excellent, excellent, excellent. :mrgreen:

EmilyB
05-11-2005, 05:41 AM
Nice bud :wink: I'll bring frags when I come. :mrgreen:

muck
05-11-2005, 06:22 AM
awwwhh... what happened to the nice green/brown fuzzy "coral" ? :frown: :razz:

christyf5
05-11-2005, 03:16 PM
awwwhh... what happened to the nice green/brown fuzzy "coral" ? :frown: :razz:

Its okay, its in a better place now. Where it can run free... :wink:

sumpfinfishe
05-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Amazing job Christy :eek:
The work of a truely dedicated reefer, I think it's about time you started enjoying the success and sharing the frags of course :mrgreen:
Congrats smartie pants :wink:

danny zubot
05-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Looks much better, no more Blogs! Did you get an amonia spike after setting the tank up?

christyf5
05-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Nope, no ammonia spike, everything settled in nicely :biggrin:

rickjames
05-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Looks great! You won't regret going sans-sand! :biggrin:

sumpfinfishe
05-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Hey Christy, you don't have a picnic table kicking aorund by chance :razz: you might need one soon enough :mrgreen:

ldzielak
05-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Looking good.

Lee