PDA

View Full Version : stuck on heater

christyf5
05-11-2005, 01:19 AM
I had hoped to never experience this. Just found my tank at 86 degrees and the heater was still on :eek: Its an EBO Jaeger.

Recommendations for a new heater??

Doug
05-11-2005, 01:22 AM
Since I switched to the titaniums, they have run perfect. I have the digital and an analog. The digital has been running perfect for over a year now.

Both are 250w heaters.

Aquattro
05-11-2005, 01:22 AM
I recommend 2 heaters that are slightly under sized. If one sticks on, it won't kill your tank. If one fails, it won't kill your tank.

christyf5
05-11-2005, 01:25 AM
Well I've had this one for 2.5 years without a problem. Then again, maybe thats the problem :confused:

When you say undersized Brad, we are talking how many watts here?? Currently I have a 250W (unplugged). I have a couple of 150s, would those be better?

Christy :)

whaase
05-11-2005, 01:26 AM
Man, if you didn't have bad luck, you'd have none at all... sorry to hear..

Walter

I had hoped to never experience this. Just found my tank at 86 degrees and the heater was still on :eek: Its an EBO Jaeger.

Recommendations for a new heater??

christyf5
05-11-2005, 01:28 AM
Man, if you didn't have bad luck, you'd have none at all... sorry to hear..

Walter

You don't know the half of it :rolleyes: Then again, you've been following the saga haven't you :wink:

Luckily I have been subscribing to that "hands in the tank every day" method so sometime between 9pm last night and 6pm tonight the heater stuck. Everything seems okay though so far...... :neutral:

Aquattro
05-11-2005, 01:41 AM
Christy, ya, try the 2 150w if you have them already. I've run 2 for years just to avoid this type of thing

Doug
05-11-2005, 01:41 AM
I run the pair of 250,s in my 170g

christyf5
05-11-2005, 01:42 AM
Thanks guys :biggrin:

Troy F
05-11-2005, 02:03 AM
I've also heard that the Ebos fail in the on position where as the Tronic heaters fail off. If I had my way I'd choose failing in the off position. It has something to do with the electronics, one is solid state the other is ??.

mark
05-11-2005, 02:58 AM
Tronic I had (200W) failed in the on position. Tank was at 90° when I noticed.

Ken
05-11-2005, 04:36 AM
Hi Christy, any damages in the aquarium as far as livestock? I unplugged all my heaters at this time. A modest 79 dgr. Regards Ken

Jack
05-11-2005, 04:50 AM
Hope nothing died on you but 86° doesn't sound too bad.

I had an Ebo stick in the off position a few months back on my softie tank but it didn't matter because I'm using a Velocity T3 return which puts off just enough heat.

Right now my 250w Ebo heater comes on during the MH photo period.. not sure why.

I want either a Medusa or a Ranco temp controller but then again maybe just go all out and get a chiller this summer. Bah. :rolleyes:

Troy F
05-11-2005, 04:55 AM
Well so much for my information. I went out and replaced all my Ebos on that bit of advice.

Tangman
05-11-2005, 04:56 AM
With two 250watt MH's on my 124G , I haven't used ( or needed ) a heater in allmost three years. In fact I run a chiller.

christyf5
05-11-2005, 05:11 AM
Temp is down to 82 now. Thats more normal as my tank seems to run on the high side anyways. Makes me wonder what my temp would be like if I didn't have a heater in there at all.

Everything looks normal to me, polyps are out, fish are swimming, snails are snailing. :wink:

I'm replacing the crap heater with a couple of 150W Ebo Jagers. I'll be keeping an eye on them, thats for sure.

Delphinus
05-11-2005, 05:49 AM
That really sucks. At least it could be worse than 86. Hopefully nothing succumbs.

The very first titanium heater I bought would never shut off. So basically the risk is there with any heater I think. Just have to be suspicious I guess.

Speaking of tank incidents, there must be something in the air. I had a wee disaster (well .. could be worse I guess) of a water change tonight. I shut off a valve on my downspout, forgot about it, and overflowed the tank. Water poured onto my light ballasts, powerstrips, pumps, etc. just as I realized my error and hit the panic button (flatlining all tanks). What was supposed to be a routine 10 minute water change turned into a 4 hour ordeal of cleaning and drying every electrical component. I couldn't get my pump to restart without tripping the GFCI for quite a while. My backup pump that I keep onhand went into action, but has a plumbing issue, tank was white with microbubbles. Eventually I got my original pump to start and stay running without tripping the GCFI. I won't be sleeping much tonight though I think I'll be running downstairs to check every hour or so.

StirCrazy
05-11-2005, 12:49 PM

hmmm.. there selling point is they fail off, oh well guess nothing is safe :rolleyes:

Steve

whaase
05-11-2005, 01:57 PM
Didn't you have a titanium heater crap out on you too?

Walter

hmmm.. there selling point is they fail off, oh well guess nothing is safe :rolleyes:

Steve

Chad
05-11-2005, 07:03 PM

mine failed at that as well.. but luckily all it did was boil my LR!

StirCrazy
05-11-2005, 10:25 PM

Walter

Steve

mine was a titaniam one yes but the tronics are glass. what I am looking at doing is using a thermostatic controler that will kill the power to the heaters if the temp gets over 80 degrees. this will give me two levels of saftey.

Steve

Doug
05-11-2005, 11:03 PM

Walter

Steve

mine was a titaniam one yes but the tronics are glass. what I am looking at doing is using a thermostatic controler that will kill the power to the heaters if the temp gets over 80 degrees. this will give me two levels of saftey.

Steve

Thats the way to go. I had a Ranco controller, before I wrecked the probe. Never fixed it yet.

StirCrazy
05-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Doug, where did you get it and how much are they?

Steve

Willow
05-11-2005, 11:31 PM

Steve

your better off getting a dual stage controller so it can handle your chiller and heater or fans and heater. medusa makes nice units, ranco are a bit cheaper as they arnt designed specificaly for aquariums, i think you can buy them unwired in the states somewhere for pretty cheap.

Doug
05-12-2005, 12:00 AM

Steve

Steve, I bought mine years ago, from a friend in the US. Thats when they were only sold wholesale. I was just talking with Christy and she found the company that retails them now.

http://www.automatedaquariums.com/ranco.htm

whaase
05-12-2005, 03:21 AM
Where does one find one of those? How much are they?

Walter

Steve

Willow
05-12-2005, 03:30 AM

Walter

Steve

this is a fancy one, there are cheaper models
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/controllers.php?product_ID=ct-mtc250

StirCrazy
05-12-2005, 04:52 AM

Steve

your better off getting a dual stage controller so it can handle your chiller and heater or fans and heater.

Naaa, the chiller is digital and controles its self, I also do not want power cut at all to the chiller as I would have to crawl under the house every time to reset it all :mrgreen:

Steve

whaase
05-13-2005, 01:50 AM
What would be a cheaper model? :biggrin:

Walter

Walter

Steve

this is a fancy one, there are cheaper models
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/controllers.php?product_ID=ct-mtc250

Willow
05-13-2005, 01:57 AM
the ranco ones, there was a link on RC vendors forum awhile back on getting them cheap and unwired.