PDA

View Full Version : PFO Miss labeled ballast

bluetang
05-11-2005, 12:31 AM
First of all, Hats off to the guys and gals of PFO Lighting for their service.
For the last 6 months I've been unhappy with the lighting in my tank. I have 3 X 250w HQI pendants over a 125g 6 foot tank. The middle light was running off of a single ballast while the ends were running off a double ballast. The ends were always really dull compared to the center. I however had 10k in the middle and 20k's on the end, so I thought that was the problem. I changed bulbs a couple weeks ago to all the same bulb and the ends were still very dull and yellowish.
Today I had enough and called PFO. After talking with Peter, And us taking the housing off to look at the ballast and the wiring over the phone. We discovered that the ballast was NOT a HQI ballast afterall..... It was mislabeled and sold under a HQI name. THerefore the bulbs were really only firing up half way.
To fix the problem PFO is sending me a new ballast and only after receiving the new one do I have to send the old one to them..
Hats off to them for that.. Usually most places want the product in there hands and only then will send out the new one..
Thanks PFO
Rob

AJ_77
05-11-2005, 12:37 AM
What is the effect on the bulbs?

bluetang
05-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Not sure yet. When I switch the wires around and fire the end bulbs on the proper ballast They look great. I guess only time will tell.

Invigor
05-11-2005, 01:04 AM
i found peter and carla at PFO a huge help to me as well. hats off to them!

Willow
05-11-2005, 04:59 AM
i thought i had some issues with my older pfo ballasts, called em up expecting a run around and was pleasantly surprised with how great they were to deal with over the phone.

i hope they are going to pay for the return postage on the ballasts and it's basically their fault that you have the wrong ballasts.

muck
05-11-2005, 05:36 AM
Nice to hear there are still some "good guys" around to deal with. :biggrin: