PDA

View Full Version : New tank Specs

danny zubot
05-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Well, it may not be the biggest or best tank in the world but I worked hard to make it the best for me. I spent a lot of time thinking out the design and function of the new setup and here is what I have now.

Tank and sump

65 gallon top drilled tank with 1.5 inch DYI drain style overflow. Black silicon, and center brace has been replaced with 0.5 x 6 inch glass.
25 gallon sump with DYI baffles.
25 inch tall becket skimmer power by a Mag 18, in sump.
Mag 9.5 return, uses 3/4 line return line. I didn't want excessive return flow through the sump to allow for pod growth within the LR in the sump. This one is good for about 750 gph after head loss for this tank.
Trusty Jager 250 watt heater, in sump.
Pinpoint Ph monitor, also mounted below the tank.
2 Maxi Jet 1200 power heads in tank for additional flow.
80 lbs live rock and about 40 lbs aragonite sand bed.

Lighting

I thought I'd keep it simple this time and just go with my previous 250 watt 14K ARC halide. It is hung over the tank with a 6 inch fan blowing under it for heat removal. Both the light and fan are on timers that come on a 10am and go out at 10pm. I might suppliment with my old 2x 65 watt PC later if I can figure out how to mount it safely.

Additional

This system is very simple but effective as a reef tank. I keep an open top for heat dicipation and have my rock arranged like a patch reef. Its not the usual stack of rock up the back wall of the tank, rather a column in the middle where water flows around all sides. The temperature stays at around 79-80 degress and Ph ranges from 8.19 to 8.04 at night. I use only RO/Di water and have to top up the sump every 5 days, about 5-6 gallons. Right now I only have 1 False Perc, 1 Manderine and 1 Dwarf Lion fish. Very few Hermit and snails and a conch. Everything seems to adjusting well after the move, I've already seen lots of baby snails, brittle and bristle stars and some nudibranches crawling around at night. I'll probly get another 20-30 lbs of live rock and many more corals. Tank build up pics are in the picture forum, and full tank shots are coming soon.

Thanks

muck
05-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Whats the tank dimensions danny?

danny zubot
05-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Its 36x18x24 high. Basically a shortend standard 90 gallon.

saltynuts
06-01-2005, 01:13 AM
any pics. i would like to see your sump.my tank is a 54 36x18x20.
i want to use a 25 gal .but i have to do some mods. to the skimmer.do you have a foge in your sump.

danny zubot
06-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Hey Ed, here'e the link to some pics.
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16598
The 25 gallon sump isn't shown in the pics but trust me, it was a squeeze. There is only enough room in the sump to fit my becket skimmer which takes up about half. The other half has a couple pieces of LR, my heater and return pump. I will end up putting some more LR and maybe some macro algae in the future.

Good luck with your tank!