PDA

View Full Version : Spa Pump - Can it be used?

cc_bruno
05-09-2005, 09:40 PM
My father in-law has an old spa pump with built in heater that he'll willing to part with, if I want it... not sure of the details of the pump itself, but, I'm wondering if it can be used, or is it a bad idea? Probably way too much flow for my 225 gallon, but, if I want to go bigger, I may have a pump for it, (assuming it can be used). Thanks.

Robert

Delphinus
05-09-2005, 10:10 PM
I have seen hot tub pumps be used on tanks, I guess as long as there are no metal parts in contact with the water flow anywhere they can be used. Only thing to watch out for is the power consumption, they tend to be heavy on the draw ... might cost you a fortune to run that pump in the long run. Just something to check.

cc_bruno
05-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Thanks Tony. I'll check both out, (it's a 220 volt pump, but not sure on the wattage that it'll use). I'll open up the impellar part and take a look, and then go from there... I guess a larger tank would be in order if there are not metal parts :biggrin: .

Robert

Troy F
05-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Yes you can use them, they use lots of electricity and push LOTS of water.

JimE
05-09-2005, 11:52 PM
It will have a stainless steel parts in the mechanical seal (which is somewhat prone to leakage, but not usually a big deal to replace)

It's more than likely a 2 speed motor - the low speed is probably more useable for residential apps - on low it will pump a fair bit of water at low pressure and reasonable amp draw (think Ampmaster-ish) High speed is damn noisy but lots of flow & pressure & amps.

Jim

Bryan
05-10-2005, 01:41 AM
Coral Ocean when it was on Broadway used one for about a year on their large tank. Lasted about 8 months before it burned up, plus it was loud

Troy F
05-10-2005, 02:11 AM
Marc used his for a fair amount of time, I think it was a 1/4hp motor jacuzzi brand pump.

cc_bruno
05-10-2005, 04:10 AM
So even if it made of stainless steel, and won't rust out on me, (the internals), I have to deal with a loud, electricity consuming motor that may not last a year? Hmmm... all of a sudden it doesn't seem like a great deal, even at free, (unless, of course, I wanted to use it in a spa :biggrin: ). Unless someone proves otherwise, I'll pass on the pump. Worth a shot.

Robert

Willow
05-10-2005, 04:58 AM
the power consumption alone would end up paying for a decent reef pump.

StirCrazy
05-10-2005, 05:40 AM
So even if it made of stainless steel, and won't rust out on me, (the internals), I have to deal with a loud, electricity consuming motor that may not last a year? Hmmm... all of a sudden it doesn't seem like a great deal, even at free, (unless, of course, I wanted to use it in a spa :biggrin: ). Unless someone proves otherwise, I'll pass on the pump. Worth a shot.

Robert

yes it will rust. you can find them that are all plastic construction, I know my hot tub pump has no metal whatso ever in it but I like it on my hottub as 1.5hp is to much for my tank.

Steve

JimE
05-10-2005, 05:51 AM
If you are slightly interested in pursuing this, do your own research and don't rely on anecdotal info. From the sounds of it, you don't even know what the pump actually is, its construction, or what the performance is. How can you compare it, apply it, or do a operating cost analysis, or.... without any basic infomation. Its like asking "I just got given a car motor, can I use it in my Honda.....??? Well, you know, its out of some kind of car, or maybe a truck...."

[/quote]the power consumption alone would end up paying for a decent reef pump.

And this is based on what information??? Its an opinion based on no information. There are spa pumps (and many other pumps) that are more efficient or cost effective than "reef pumps" in certain applications and at certain performance points.

[/quote]used one for about a year on their large tank. Lasted about 8 months before it burned up[quote]

How can you find fault in a product that still performed for over 4 months after it "burned up" ??? Come on, that's a selling feature in itself.... :biggrin: Umm, and you're considering this as advice :biggrin:

A "common" spa pump, on LOW speed can push 40-60gpm at 5-7ft of head - would be good for a closed loop or ?? If you find out the performance of the pump, THEN decide if that's what you want or can use. If it is, compare it to what equivalent is available in the reef products and see if it is cost effective. Remember, you got it for free. Does it make sense to spend hundreds of dollars on something new to save a few bucks on electricity a year?

I'm not endorsing using the pump, just saying do your own research before making decisions. Look outside the hobby to industry and manufacturers website.

Jim

StirCrazy
05-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Jim makes some very good points there, for example my pump has been running for 8 years constantly and I have only replaced 1 seal. as for power my hydro bill is increased by 25 to 30 bucks a month for just the hot tub (1500L tub) and that is also the heater so I figure 5 to 8 bucks for the pump each month.

Steve

cc_bruno
05-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Jim,

Thanks for pointing out what should have been blatantly obvious. I'll get the info on it and check it out on the net to see what I can find out about it as well. I if it all works out, it gives me a great reason to run a 220 line by the tank, (which will make it easier to run my metal halides as well :biggrin: ). Time to start doing some research.

Robert

chwkreefer
05-12-2005, 07:33 AM
a buddy of mine has two spa pumps on his system for a number of years, with absolutely no problems. His have a high and low setting. He has them switched to low, which still provides lots of flow and keeps the power consumption down. I know he's happy with them.

Gizmo
05-25-2005, 05:03 AM
I ended up using a sump pump from home depot for under $90. It is an all plastic construction and it pumps 3300gph @ 4ft of head. I had to install a diverter valve cause my overflow can't keep up.

Good points: Quiet, Great flow. Won't rust, cheap, power consumtion low, easy to remove for cleaning.

Bad points: Way too much power, Added heat to the system (although it still hasen't passed 80, I have to have my ebo jager at 50 to balance out the tank) Takes up some space in the sump

cc_bruno
05-25-2005, 05:44 PM
Well, there may be a buyer for the pump, so, I may not end up getting it after all, (won't know for sure for another week or so).

Gizmo, how loud is the pump? Might be a great alternative if the spa one doesn't fall through. Would you mind posting the name, and model number of it, (so I can check out my local HD)? Thanks.

Robert

Gizmo
05-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Its a Diamond Utility pump. All blue.

cc_bruno
05-25-2005, 09:59 PM
Thanks. Will try to check it out tonight. How loud is the pump?

Robert

Gizmo
05-26-2005, 02:33 AM
Whisper quite. All I hear is the overflow from the skimmer and tank.