PDA

View Full Version : crashing Xenia

Gordoe
11-15-2001, 08:20 PM
Hey folks, I've got a piece of Xenia crashing. Any suggestions??

Tank specs-
65Gal with 15Gal sump
Temp 81
Alk 11.2dKh
Ph Approx 8.2 (I think I'm color blind and wife wasn't around)
Sal 1.023

I dose with Iodine once a week with Kent's Expert series.

The only thing that I did differently was add my make up water with a combination of iodine and coral vite.. Anybody think this might have been the cause?

Gord

I really like my xenia.....

FlameAngel
11-15-2001, 08:47 PM
Xenia although it grows like weeds, is seldom kept for years and years... Do you have an iodine test kit that you can test your iodine?

FlameAngel

Silverfish
11-15-2001, 11:20 PM
When in doubt ,... water change always helps. I have xenia that I cannot keep under control it is growing so fast. I don't dose iodine.. heard somewhere(Dr. Ron maybe) that it is unnecessary.

HTH, Bruce

George
11-15-2001, 11:31 PM
I dose nothing but kalk, and my Xenia grows like weed. My specs:
Temp: 81F
Calcium: 400ppm
Alk: 9dkh
Sal: 1.025
15% Water change every month.

Try to bring your salinity to 1.025. And unless your have a good iodine test kit, you might want to stop dosing it. I heard from some experts(Dr. Shimek, Dr. Bingman) that iodine overdose can cause a lot of trouble.

HTH
George

DJ88
11-15-2001, 11:47 PM
George,

If you are dosing anything other than Kalk IMO I would have a test kit as well. I had "weeds" and never dosed. Thank goodness they died in my move.. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Seriously tho. I'd get a test kit and monitor your levels of iodine.

Gordoe
11-16-2001, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the help guys, i'm going to pick up an iodine test kit. Might be the cause of the shell shock. Too much of a good thing?

Gord