PDA

View Full Version : Top off

outtafocus
05-08-2005, 11:55 PM
Im sure this has been asked before.

What is everyone using for an auto top off system?

Where did you buy your float switches if you are using them?
Do you add supplements in your top off water?

Any pics of your setups would be nice.
Thanks

Bob I
05-09-2005, 12:00 AM
I got an autotopoff system from Newguy in Edmonton. It cost me $50.00 plus the cost of the powerhead and the tubing. BTW there is only one L in talons. :biggrin:

christyf5
05-09-2005, 12:21 AM
$12 float switch from hydroponics store
$5 3 gallon rubbermaid container
$?? John Guest fitting and tubing (stole from the "taste filter" part of my RODI that I wasn't using). You can get the tubing from Home Depot in the water filter department, and I don't know where you can get the JG fittings from, I just used mine because it was handy.

Drill hole in rubbermaid about 1 inch from bottom, screw in JG fitting and silicone. Attach tubing. Install float switch (Jack made me a skookum float switch holder, its L shaped and is siliconed onto the sump, the float switch is attached to that). Hook up free end of tubing to float switch.

Sorry I don't have any pics. I can get some later on though. Its a pretty simple setup. Perhaps too simple. This is coming from a DIY challenged person :wink:

Oh and I don't supplement anything

Christy :)

outtafocus
05-09-2005, 04:24 AM
Bob I the talons situation has been corrected :rolleyes:

Christyf5 I assume you are using a gravity feed top off? That system would probably be what I'd use if I was running a sump. Thank you.

christyf5
05-09-2005, 04:59 AM
Yep its a gravity feed system. :biggrin:

IslandReefer
05-09-2005, 09:34 AM
Isn't that a float "valve" no electricity, reliable prolly the safest way to go....humidifer float or kent.. :razz:
Float switches are electric and can fail, on or off as well as the pump they power....a bit risky, for me, considerering the calcium build up, salt creep, wire corrosion, Murphy........just my 2 cents :smile:

Willito
05-09-2005, 03:03 PM
If you are using RO water, connect a float valve directly on the output line and attach it to your sump. You can get this humidifier float valve at Home Depot for $7....mine has been working for over a year.

Aquattro
05-09-2005, 03:07 PM
If you are using RO water, connect a float valve directly on the output line and attach it to your sump. You can get this humidifier float valve at Home Depot for $7....mine has been working for over a year.

If it fails though, you end up with a FW reef!! I've seen this before, and even my own kent float failed before. Developed a tiny pinhole, and it became a sink valve instead of a float valve. Dumped 5g of kalk mix into my sump. Glad it wasn't a full time feed of RO!!

Zerandise
05-09-2005, 03:24 PM
yeah the gravity ones make me nervous. so much build up on them. I really like having the pump were it only has fresh water. as for a float failing just use two. that way if one fails in the on position you still have the second to keep it off.

here is a thread in the DYI forum on the same topic.

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16398

Willito
05-09-2005, 06:32 PM
If it fails though, you end up with a FW reef!! I've seen this before, and even my own kent float failed before

Indeed, there is a risk factor involved but if you install in an area of the sump where water turbulence is mininal, the chances of it failing is rare. I have great confidence in this method and currently using two of them on my systems. it's cheap and effective.

outtafocus
05-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Thank you Zerandise, I am most impressed with your system.
I like the failsafe system.
Now the big question, where did you find those switches? What type of stores carry them.

muck
05-09-2005, 10:16 PM
Thank you Zerandise, I am most impressed with your system.
I like the failsafe system.
Now the big question, where did you find those switches? What type of stores carry them.

Aquaria Canada carries them. :biggrin:

http://aquariacanada.com/osCommerce/product_info.php?products_id=716

pocilipora
05-09-2005, 11:25 PM
If your hooking direct to your RO/DI unit, the float valve works great. But just as a fail safe, a timer should be put inline so only a certain amount of water is allowed to flow through your RO/DI unit per day.

outtafocus
05-10-2005, 03:01 AM
Hey muck the float switches you posted are rated for 250VDC.
Will they handle 120VAC?
Does no one make a ac voltage float switch?

Griffin
05-11-2005, 05:05 PM
dominik_n has some for sale - there was 8 back then - i am grabbing 2 tonight so send off a pm and see if there are any left :biggrin:

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16379

cheers
Rich