PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Glass

ruck'n'reefer
05-08-2005, 10:24 PM
I just cut 2- 5/8 " holes in 1/8 " glass. I used a dremel with a tile cutting bit #562 (not a diamond bit) with the cutting guide (router-type attachment). It took me 5 minutes for both including set up and marking the holes. Very easy, and quite precise.
I clamped the glass to my workmate, lined the marked hole on the glass up with a hole in the workmate... then freehanded the hole a setting 4 of 5. I added (splashed) a small amount of water. I drilled straight thru then followed the line. I cut out a circular plug. There is no evidence of wear on the bit.

This seemed easy and faster than using the prescibed diamond bit.
Hope that made sense.

Rob

outtafocus
05-09-2005, 04:18 AM
Sounds like it went well. Congratulations

Scavenger
05-10-2005, 12:26 AM
What are the odds we could get you to do it again on some scrap glass and photograph the job? I'm interested in seeing if this would work on thicker glass as well. Thanks for sharing what you did, but damn you!! Your giving me project ideas!! :lol:

BCOrchidGuy
05-10-2005, 02:36 AM
I was wondering about doing this but using a hole saw on some acrylic and then using the acrylic hole as a template to guide the dremel. Anyone ever tried that?

Doug

ruck'n'reefer
05-10-2005, 02:45 AM
I'll try again tomorrow.. my camera just died! Battreries low. It is set up to go.