PDA

View Full Version : Watch out here they come

outtafocus
05-07-2005, 05:34 PM
I am going to attempt to set up two nano tanks at the same time.
The Plan:
1: 18x18x18 cube tank (approx 25gal)
-Aquaclear 110 (500) as HOB refugium
-Seio 620 for water movement
-AquaC Remora skimmer (to be purchased from gbeef)
-Hamilton 150w HQI 14000K metal halide with custom moonlights
-Visi-therm 200w heater, I may just buy a Ebo-jager

2: Hagen 10 gallon
-Aquaclear 110 (500) as HOB refugium
-Small MJ power head, yet to be determined
-Coralife 96w powerquad 20"
-Visi-therm 100w heater

I was going to set up the 25 gal first then set up the 10gal, but since I am purchasing the live rock, I would do better to buy it all at once.

What are you opinions of these two set ups? Any comments are welcome.

What do you think of Carib-sea Aragalive? Is this product worth the money? Or should I just buy regular aragonite and have one of the helpful locals "seed" my tanks?

Thanks
Pics soon to follow

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-07-2005, 06:11 PM
I would buy regular Aragonite & seed it from someone's tanks. All my tanks were seeded originally with Live Sand from OA. Ended up with lots of pods & live mysis.

Anthony

Beverly
05-07-2005, 10:26 PM
I would go bare bottom on both tanks.

For the 25g, you do not need a 200w heater. I would go with two 50w instead. In the 10g, I would only use one 50w. Haven't used Visi-therms. Have not had problems with Tronics in any of the tanks we've used them in during our many years of reefkeeping.

outtafocus
05-07-2005, 10:33 PM
The only reason I was going to use the 200w was because it came with the tank when I bought it.

I want the heater to fit inside my ac110 so a 50 would be better.
I have toyed with the idea of Bare bottom, but I am undecided. I like the look of sand, but the ease of cleaning the bare bottom.

jws444
05-08-2005, 12:29 AM
I think nano tanks are not really worth the time (assuming that have other tank choices). It's actually more work to keep a small reef stable and will limit your livestock options, and you're going for 2 of them! You must have a lot of free time! :razz:

takphan
05-08-2005, 12:31 AM
how about epoxy a thin layer of sand on the bottom?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=392144

http://www.pbase.com/image/30557064/original.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/image/30557065/original.jpg

Tak

outtafocus
05-08-2005, 04:39 AM
I am only doing nanos because I am limited with space being in an apartment.
I know that I am getting my self into alot of work, but hey I have the equipment and usually things are slightly cheaper if you buy in bigger quantities. I know a 10 and 25 hardly count as big quantities but I am still going to try.

The mock sand/bare bottom idea is really interesting, but with that type of bottom, I cant buy any sand sifting critters. Are these types of critters desirable? Things like sand sifting stars and certain snails?

Funky_Fish14
05-08-2005, 04:47 AM
Why not go with something like a 40-50g instead of two tanks that would take up more space?

I wouldnt worry about the sand sifters. Cerith dont spend all their time in the sand, mine dont spend more than 1/2 their time on the sand, and dont normally go into it. Stars will just go into the rocks too. I think that glued sand idea is a good idea as you can still syphon all the junk out without slowly losing your sand bed at the same time.

Chris

outtafocus
05-17-2005, 01:29 AM
Well my tanks are finally up and running. I added live rock to both tanks, fully cured (thanks Gbeef).
The 25 is running with just LR and a few snails and a porcelain crab (just spotted him)
The 10 has an open brain, some zoos, a nice GSP. a pipe organ and a colt leather. Along with a bunch of snails, a hermit and many other cool things I find everyday.

I am off to buy a good digital camera so pics will be up shortly.

I have to thank Jackson for the big kick start he has given my tanks.

Bob I
05-20-2005, 07:07 PM
I think nano tanks are not really worth the time (assuming that have other tank choices). It's actually more work to keep a small reef stable and will limit your livestock options, and you're going for 2 of them! You must have a lot of free time! :razz:

I strongly disagree. I always have a nano running in addition to my other two larger tanks. I find them very easy to run, and have no problems with stability. I personally think the whole stability thing is an "Old Wives Tale" :razz:

outtafocus
05-20-2005, 10:58 PM
Almost everyone here seems so against nanos.

I decided to get into reef aquariums all thanks to www.nano-reef.com
I love the look of a smaller tank, and because of its size I can keep a couple in my apartment.
If you have ever checked out nano-reef, you would see what is capable in a small tank.
If I wanted a 45gal tank I would have bought one.

aquariumgirl
05-21-2005, 04:21 AM
I agree!

Nano reefs are not difficult to maintain. I just started a 0.75 gallon Pico reef. It is a great way to put your knowledge to the test. Also, it is very statisfying to have a small tank thrive.

outtafocus, I look forward to seeing pictures of your nanos.

outtafocus
05-22-2005, 04:28 PM
I have just bought a Fuji Finepix A340, not a high end camera, but I got a smoking price.
I will be posting pics soon, but I will start a new thread for that.