PDA

View Full Version : Brittle star

Silverfish
12-05-2001, 03:44 AM
I have a green brittle star.. free to a good home. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Just let me know!

It's going to the lfs soon if no one wants it, unless it crawls out of my sump first!

Bruce

DJ88
12-05-2001, 03:50 AM
I'll have ot move this Bruce.. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif I'll send it to a good home.. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

canadawest
12-06-2001, 03:19 AM
Reef safe?

Does it spend any time sifting the sand, or is it primarily a filter feeder? If so I'd love to add it to my ecosystem. I don't have any sand-type stars yet, and my sandbed could use a bit of stirring! images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Silverfish
12-06-2001, 04:05 AM
Hi Andrew, ..I don't know about the brittle stars.. when I got it , I was told it was safe. Then I heard that they eat good things that live in the sand, (worms etc.) Then I heard that they may eat fish, (they form a shape like a cave and when a fish swims in... images/smiles/icon_eek.gif ) I have had a six-line, a blenny, a peppermint shrimp, and recently, my new royal gramma disappear, so the brittle star is history images/smiles/icon_sad.gif
I don't think you want it, unless you have no fish, and don't mind the sandbed losing worms and such!
It is in my brothers 90g right now with his puffer. Cool lookin critter, but I wish I hadn't got it to begin with.

As far as sandbed stirrers, get some nassarius snails, (if you have none already) They are really good at it, and cool too! I have about 10 in my 60g, and they burn around super fast when I feed the tank images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

see ya, Bruce

[ 06 December 2001: Message edited by: Silverfish ]

canadawest
12-06-2001, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the heads-up Bruce. I guess it's some Nassarius snails and maybe a Fighting Conch or two for my sandbed.

Anyone know of LFS with either right now?

If only the hermits would leave the snails alone!

Silverfish
12-06-2001, 09:26 PM
Sorry Shane, wish I had known before I put him in with my bro's puffer! If you still want him he is yours.... might be missing a leg or two at this point tho images/smiles/icon_sad.gif but they do grow back.. just let me know!

Reefmaster
12-07-2001, 03:21 AM
don't care about legs. they will grow back. what do you want in exchange? i could pick him up on the weekend. shane

Silverfish
12-07-2001, 03:31 AM
Hey Shane, I don't really need anything in exchange, I will be happy to give him to you!

I will mail you my # , call me tomorrow or Saturday if you want,, btw Adam and I are going to meet at Hillside Aquatics after work tomorrow..( 5:00 - 5:30) if you want to join in!

Bruce

Reefmaster
12-07-2001, 04:06 AM
bruce i'd take him and put him in my top sump (40g, looks like a refugium but want to keep the sand workin). have a bad ass scarlet wrasse to trade - but i don't think you want him! might offer a brown acro or polyps if ya like? shane