PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with fish and corals

Gools
05-05-2005, 10:16 PM
Is traveling with corals, or fish possible? I'm going out west, and want to visit some of these places that I've heard so much about. was thinking of getting a rubbermaid and having an airstone in it. Would that work for keeping corals, and or fish alive for a few days? :question:

Scavenger
05-05-2005, 10:39 PM
You might want to concider a good cooler instead of a rubbermaid. It would hold temp more stable. Also pack a heater and extension cord and see if you can pull in here and there to eat/gas up ect and borrow a little electicity. Esp if you stay in hotels or houses.

Doug
05-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Use a good container, Rubbermaid or a converted cooler. Get a Canadian Tire inverter, with enough power to run a heater and at least one powerhead. I have even seen set-ups in a cooler, with an undergravel filter run by airstones.

I just used live rock, heater and powerheads when transporting from Thompson to Winnipeg.

Of course with longer trips and overnight motel stays, one can do small water changes with some jugs of water, etc. You could even bring some type of shop light fixture to provide light while stopped for the night.

Gools
05-06-2005, 02:44 AM
Doug
Just curious why I would need to do a water change? Just want to get all the info I can.

Veng68
05-06-2005, 03:37 AM
Doug
Just curious why I would need to do a water change? Just want to get all the info I can.

To lower the concentration of waste byproducts that the fish/coral produce.

Cheers,
Vic[veng68]

Doug
05-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Doug

Just that the filtration will likely be limited, so it will help them over several days. I remember reading how they did it in a cross country move in the US. Was a Fama article, many years ago. :smile: I believe they used a modified large cooler.

IslandReefer
05-06-2005, 02:11 PM
on my next trip to Grandma's (Sask) I am going to use a Coleman cooler with a minijet with ventura (for airation), heater and a bag of chemipure for water purity........ may God be with us :smile: .