PDA

View Full Version : clam pinching... NEED HELP W/PICS

megatron_55
05-05-2005, 04:00 AM
Hey you guys . . . One of my clams mantle is looking "pinched" on one side :frown: I heared that its bad . . . . u guys know any info on it? Can't do a FW dip as its already attached itself onto the LR . .. anyhow .. NEED HELP! I have pic of it but canreef wont let me upload pic at the moment . . .LMK U GuYs . . . Need ur suggestions or knowledge about clam mantle being pinched . . . thanks

PS. Its a 2" gold maxima clam . . . been in the tank for about a month or so . . Lighting is 250watt DE HQI 10,000k hamilton . . . No actinics at the moment . . . Thanks in advanced for ur help

Aquattro
05-05-2005, 06:02 AM
sorry, only way I know of to treat that is a FW dip....

megatron_55
05-05-2005, 06:14 AM
do u know what causes them to have a pinch mantle?? Water quality? Parasites?

If worst comes to worst . .. how do I go on about doing a FW dip? Tap water? R/O water? How long? Submereged or just the mantles?? I apologize for the numerous questions but Im a newb when it comes to clams . . .

Thanks

Aquattro
05-05-2005, 07:05 AM
I soaked mine in RO for 30 minutes. Yup, 30 minutes. Match the temp o fthe water. I did this with all my clams, they all recovered right away.

EmilyB
05-05-2005, 07:09 AM
I've never experienced that with keeping clams aside from something externally bothering the clam.

Perhaps it is something on the shell aggravating it ? Or something nipping at it.

I could tell you about rinsing them under the tap, but that might freak you out. :lol: :razz:

Delphinus
05-05-2005, 03:17 PM
I think pinched mantle is said to be from a parasite. I lost my last clam after it had pinched mantle and I didn't do the FW dip for the same reason you're hesitant, i.e., it was attached to a big rock. I tried toothbrushing it intead but it didn't help. Well eventually the clam died, so maybe it would have been better to find a way to do that FW dip. Was too bad too, that one was one of my longer living clams at almost two years.

I was going to say clams die way too friggin easy. But not with FW dips apparently. I remember a story of a guy who did a FW dip on a clam, then forgot about it, got distracted, etc. etc. and found the clam still in the FW bath the next morning, some 12 odd hours later. Put the clam back in the tank and it was fine. I imagine any parasite sitting on the outside giving it a pinched mantle was long gone!!! :eek:

PS. I wouldn't recommed a 12 hour FW dip though :razz:

Willow
05-05-2005, 04:08 PM
i have pods crawling all over my clam at night, nothing seems to bother it. in fact it's your old clam mega.

blood_hound
05-05-2005, 11:35 PM
I have read this from another site that only croceas and a small % of maximas 'pinch'.

Is this true or do all species of giant clam pinch? And how can you tell that a clam is pinching?Is the curling of the mantle will mean that the clam is pinching?

megatron_55
05-07-2005, 07:27 AM
i have pods crawling all over my clam at night, nothing seems to bother it. in fact it's your old clam mega.

Nice . . . Hows the clam doing?? That squamosa NEVER gave me any probs or showed any signs of stress when I had it . . .

But anyhow . . . here's a pic of my two maxima's (The clam on the right is the one w/ the pinched mantles . . . Or is it?)

Still haven't done anything to it as it is attached to my LR . . . Anyone else know any method besides FW dip?? LMK!

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/506/1449clam.JPG

EmilyB
05-07-2005, 07:37 AM
It doesn't look that bad, have you tried brushing the shell ?

Otherwise, I'd take it off and do that FW dip thing maybe since most do that...

However, I just wash my clams under the tap, (temp adj) make sure the clam is upside down and totally closed.