PDA

View Full Version : Super Skimmer Rocks!

raquel
05-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Coralife's new Super Skimmer is effective, but it leaks from various knobs and overflows without warning.

I have been using an Aqua C Remora Pro on my 90 gal reef tank and it has been ok but finicky. Now that I added a Mag 5 the aqua C skims better.

The Super Skimmer has a valve on the outflow which allows me to fine tune whether I get wet or dry skimmate. It can be a HOB or sump skimmer. It comes with a Rio 1100 pump.

The key is to cut the tubing so the pump sits right below the water surface.

Any other reviews out there?

whaase
05-03-2005, 06:53 PM
Here is a huge thread on them... I'm really tossed between this one and a ASM. I know the ASM's are better, but for the price difference, I'm not sure...

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=563298&perpage=25&highlight=coralife%20skimmer&pagenumber=1

Walter

Chad
05-03-2005, 11:30 PM
just read that thread, I may get one of these for my nano... Raq any pics of your in use?

Willow
05-04-2005, 01:51 AM
can you post a pic of how you have it setup? and how much was it?

tx

trilinearmipmap
05-04-2005, 01:59 AM
Where did you buy it and how much $$$?

outtafocus
05-04-2005, 03:31 AM
Which model?
Venturi? or needle wheel?

raquel
05-04-2005, 03:45 AM
Hi All, It cost $150 for the 65 gal model (the smallest) at Kind Ed's. They also have a 125 gal and a 220 gal. The 220 gal model is venturi, the others are needle wheel.

King Ed's has the best prices so far but I see that J & L will beat prices by 10% if I read their ad on thier site correctly. Although I am not sure they carry them yet.

It is needle wheel technology. At First it was a bit noisier than my Aqua C Remora Pro but now it has quieted down or I am just more used to it. The only prob is that you have to shut it off to clean the collection cup. To empty the cup I just place a small hose in the hole at the top and siphon the skimmate into the sink.

I dont have a dig cam yet so I cant post pics but there are some great pics on reefcentral. Just go to the link posted above. Thanks for that by the way.

Hope this helps.

Raq

Willow
05-04-2005, 04:52 AM
do you have yours mounted externaly?

raquel
05-04-2005, 05:36 AM
Yep, mine is HOB.

outtafocus
05-05-2005, 12:09 AM
thats it, im going to pick one up.

raquel
05-05-2005, 05:54 AM
I just went to King Ed's today and they come in 65 gal - needle wheel ($149), 125 gal needle wheel ($225) and 220 gal (venturi).

I still love mine!

Raq

Willow
05-05-2005, 04:22 PM
i take it the venturi would be better than the needle wheel?

whaase
05-05-2005, 04:26 PM
No, needle wheel is way better....

Walter

i take it the venturi would be better than the needle wheel?

raquel
06-22-2005, 04:02 AM
Update

I just found an issue with the Superskimmer. It is still skimming great but the dial on the outflow has to be just right otherwise when you change your water level the thing goes crazy. And it has no overflow protection like the Aqua C Remora. So...water spills out from the top, everywhere! Yikes!

Also you have to shut it off to remove and clean the collection cup.
I think also they should make the outflow tube longer. The way it is now the outflow comes out right where the intake pump sits.

There's my 2 cents worth.

Raquel

Salinity Now
06-23-2005, 02:41 AM
I've had mine running now for about 3-1/2 weeks on a 33 gal, curing some Vanuatu rock. Anyways I'll try and post a couple of pics that I took after 48hours of use (I'm new here so I'll try to upload some pics). This is really my first skimmer and I'm really impressed by it. After reading numerous posts about other skimmers, I thought for $114.00, hey roll the dice. Also I had read that reef central post that was indicated above by Walter and it really sold me. It is very sensitive to water changes and you'll get an awefull mess if you don't dial it back. I havn't done any mods to it other than reducing the whistling that comes from the air-silencer. All and all, I'm really happy with my purchase.

Salinity Now
06-23-2005, 03:06 AM
Here is a photo of the HOB setup.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/507/1760css-48hr-med.JPG

Salinity Now
06-23-2005, 03:07 AM
and here is a close up of the collection cup 48hours after setting it up.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/507/1760css-cup-48hrs-med.JPG

Salinity Now
06-23-2005, 03:11 AM
Ha, ha, ha, sorry about the size folks. I'm not sure why the photos are "Mini Me" sized :question:

muck
06-23-2005, 04:57 AM
Ha, ha, ha, sorry about the size folks. I'm not sure why the photos are "Mini Me" sized :question:
Edit the url and remove the "-thumb" and it should show the big pics.. :cool:

raquel
06-23-2005, 05:30 AM
Masked Reefer - Where did you get it for $114. Did you get the 65 gal model?

Nice Price.

Raq

Aquattro
06-23-2005, 05:42 AM
pics fixed....kinda :razz:

raquel
06-23-2005, 05:47 AM
Nice set up. Your pump looks like it is too far below the water level. Try raising it up to just below.

Raquel

outtafocus
06-23-2005, 10:19 PM
Hey Raquel, how deep is your pump? I went with what the manual says, about 8inches below the water level.
I really want to let this skimmer run but I am just to affraid to.
Any new tips on set up or mods?

outtafocus
06-23-2005, 10:25 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b213/outtafocuscalgary/2005_0623Image0008.jpg

Salinity Now
06-24-2005, 03:01 AM
Thanks Muck and reef_raf for the heads up and help on the photo upload.

raquel, I purchased the 65gal version at J&L's.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/skimmers.php?product_ID=ps-c3000

Nice set up. Your pump looks like it is too far below the water level. Try raising it up to just below.

Raquel

Yes, it's totally too low. I just don't want to cut that wonderful black hose that comes with it, ha, ha, ha. I keep going to Rona to pick up stuff, ya think that I'd remember to pick up some 5/8" I.D hose? :rolleyes: I am also planning to place it into a sump when I set up my 65gal tank, so that length will work perfectly for that application.

Anyways, it's totally working fine for me right now. It did however take a while to adjust to the low pump height.

Salinity Now
06-24-2005, 03:18 AM
Did yours come with the following valve?

I was told by J&L that Coralife started providing it because people were complaining that the pump was too powerful. :eek:

I will not be using "the valve". :mrgreen: ha, ha, ha

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/507/1760the_unknown_part.JPG

outtafocus
06-24-2005, 04:53 AM
That valve comes with the pump. If you were to buy a Rio pump I believe it comes in the box. Since Coralife probably gets them with the pump they just throw it in. That what I think any way.

Im not going to use it, but I have if I need it.

raquel
06-24-2005, 05:53 AM
Hi All, I didnt get that valve. The pump isnt too powerful so I wont miss it.

Yes, definitely raise your pump to within 2 inches of the surface. Protein Skimmers work better when the pumps are close to the surface.

Masked Reefer - You got a steal at $114. J & L's wins again! The 65 gal version was $149 at King Eds. I also overpaid for high compact florescent bulbs at King Eds, so I am starting to get miffed :mad:

Oh well, live and learn.

Raq

outtafocus
06-24-2005, 11:37 PM
I dont think I can move the pump up any more. The big stupid bubble trap is in the way. I could go up about 1 inch. I will also be putting mine in a sump pretty soon, so for now I will leave as is.
If the skimmer works best with the pump up high, why does the manual say to put the pump on the bottom in a sump?

raquel
06-25-2005, 06:44 AM
I am not sure about sumps but I assume that the water level isnt too high in them anyway, but I think the water is drained from the top before it goes to the sump. Anyone else have ideas about this.

outtafocus
06-25-2005, 10:57 PM
So that little valve I said I doubt I'd use, well I installed it on my skimmer about 1/2 ago.
For the first time the skimmer isn't flooding my collection cup in a few minutes. I can see that this valve reduces the bubble production by a bit, but I also have the pump turned down to half throttle. I will leave it at this setting for the next day or so. I will then start fine tuning the setup. I want to get maximun bubble action without flooding my collection cup. Once the skimmer has "broken in" I should be able to turn up the pump.
I will keep you posted.
Adding this valve has also raised up my pump so the intake sits just under the bubble trap.
The skimmer is already making some nice foam, I now want to see the black death it will pull out.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b213/outtafocuscalgary/2005_0625Image0001.jpg

outtafocus
06-25-2005, 11:10 PM
I have water leaking out from under the red adjustment knob. I had noticed water there a few days ago, but I figured I had splashed it there. It is actually bubbling out, any one else have this problem?
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b213/outtafocuscalgary/2005_0625Image0003.jpg

Salinity Now
06-26-2005, 12:52 AM
So that little valve I said I doubt I'd use, well I installed it on my skimmer about 1/2 ago.
For the first time the skimmer isn't flooding my collection cup in a few minutes. I can see that this valve reduces the bubble production by a bit, but I also have the pump turned down to half throttle. I will leave it at this setting for the next day or so. I will then start fine tuning the setup. I want to get maximun bubble action without flooding my collection cup. Once the skimmer has "broken in" I should be able to turn up the pump.

Mine did the same thing at first. I was getting alot of foam and water pouring over into the collection cup . I also gave the main chamber and riser tube a good scrubbing with hot water before plugging it in. It will settle down just give it a bit of time.

I have water leaking out from under the red adjustment knob. I had noticed water there a few days ago, but I figured I had splashed it there. It is actually bubbling out, any one else have this problem?

I havn't had this happen yet, but I have had it when water was bubbling out of the output tubing vent hole. Check yours to make sure that nothing is blocking it. I think in your photo you have the bubble diffuser box sitting too high above the water line. This is probably causing too much back pressure. But I'm surprised that it isn't comming out of the output tubing vent hole? Try lowering it and see what happens. You'll need to move it to the right though so it doesn't hit the top of your pump. I'll try and post a photo. Just need to get some batteries for the camera.

outtafocus
06-26-2005, 01:14 AM
I know its not the back pressure causing the leaking. I took off the 90 degree elbow with the flex tubing, the water was still leaking out of the adjusting knob.

If I lower the bubble box, too many bubbles enter the tank. So I like the height of it as it is.
I have emailed Coralife to see what they say, I may end up returning this skimmer for a new one.

Salinity Now
06-26-2005, 02:01 AM
Sorry to hear that. :sad: I know I hate it when I buy something and it's not working from the get go. Hopefully you can still return it.

Masked Reefer - You got a steal at $114. J & L's wins again! The 65 gal version was $149 at King Eds. I also overpaid for high compact florescent bulbs at King Eds, so I am starting to get miffed

I know what you mean, I'll still shop around locally or online to try and find what I'm looking for. Usually J&L's has it and at a better price even with shipping.

outtafocus
06-26-2005, 04:16 AM
I paid $130 at golds here in Calgary. I was going to buy it off of bigalsonline, but they wanted 160

I may try to mod the valve myself, if the ABS plastic is the same OD as PVC sch40 pipe I may just cut the return pipe just under the valve. Then glue in a ball valve and a few elbows. Presto, a better working non leaking skimmer. The ball valve should allow finer adjustments.

raquel
06-26-2005, 06:43 AM
Hi all, Well I emailed Coralife about all my leaks, including leaks from the outake knob, and they say it is because of back pressure.

Here is their email to me;
Thank you, for your most recent purchase of our Coralife Super Skimmer. We are sorry to hear about your experience with our product. It does sound like the skimmer is not set up properly though. The way you wrote your email I understand that you are probably having water come out the air vent on top of the output tubing. If this is the case it sounds as if the bubble trap is not set up properly. You will want to make sure that the top of the bubble trap is at the same level as your water line of the aquarium or 1/16" above. Make sure your black sponge is on top and the white sponge is on the bottom. Then make sure the end of your outlet tubing is no more than 1/2" to 1" in the black sponge (you may have to cut the tubing). What was happening is the skimmer had back pressure on the outlet hose. Since protein skimmers are not pressurized system the only way for water to get out is through the collection cup. That is probably why you where having problems. The other item we include with the model 65 Super Skimmer is a flow control valve. If the outlet is set up properly and you are still having problems attach the flow valve to the outlet of the water pump and valve it back a little.
Is your output tubing under water? If so that could be some of the problem. The only way for water to go into the collection cup is because the output has back pressure on it and its not able to get rid of the water going in the unit. The only other problem I can think of is if you do not have the tubing going out and down right away this will also cause back pressure. The output tubing can not run horizontally. Otherwise if none of this is the problem then you can either return it to the company you bought it from or return it to us for a replacement.

So there it is.

Hope it helps.

I sent them an email saying that too many leaks are happening from too many places. They just suggested I return it and get another one. I think the design as it stands needs some adjusting.

raquel
06-26-2005, 06:45 AM
Outafocus, mine leaks from the knob too.

I just have a huge bucket under mine so I can sleep at night.

By the way, why not turn your pump around so it draws water away from the clean water coming out of the bubble trap.

Raq

outtafocus
06-26-2005, 03:45 PM
I have adjusted the bubble trap to what coralife suggests and I will be keeeping an eye on it. So far so good.

I found that having the pump sit in this orientation allows more bubble trap adjustment. I am able to lower the trap down more and have the pump higher.
I have enough flow in my tank that any water coming out of the bubble trap doesnt stick around long enough to get recirculated back through.
Once I actually get my tank drilled and a sump set up, I wouldnt even worry about the leak around the knob. But because its hanging on the tank I dont want water on the floor.

I believe there is some minor flaws in the design, just little things. Like the bubble trap and pump, they are so close together that you cant adjust one with out disturbing the other. The valve its self is of poor design, a ball or gate valve would be more precise. I dont even know what to call this valve?
Im wondering if I should have just stuck with my AquaC remora. The remora can not overflow, requires no adjustment, and the collection cup can be emptied without turning off the pump. The only thing I didnt like on the remora was the skimmate, never very dark.
But at half the remoras price I think I can make the CSS work for me.

outtafocus
06-26-2005, 04:19 PM
It has been over an hour and no leaks.
I may actually go out today and leave the skimmer running.

raquel
06-27-2005, 01:38 AM
Yep, I totally agree! Well said. The aqua C just doesnt produce the skimmate that the Superskimmer does but boy is it painless. I have finally got my SS to the point where there are no more leaks. Yippee. It was quite a journey.

Raquel

Salinity Now
06-27-2005, 02:24 AM
I'm glad to hear that you guys were able to tame that CSS.

they are so close together that you cant adjust one with out disturbing the other.

outtafocus, you can twist the 90 degree output tubing upwards. You can then move the bubble trap over. Twist your pump 90 degrees and then you'll be able to move it up. Does that help :question:

outtafocus
06-27-2005, 02:45 AM
I will try to play with the positioning of everything one day, For now Im just happy the thing is working.

outtafocus
06-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Over 24hrs and no leaks.

Thank you Raquel and Masked for all the help.
It is pulling out a brown skimmate which is already darker than any thing the remora ever pulled.

outtafocus
06-28-2005, 12:39 AM
Do you know if the CSS has a maximum depth of water it can be submerged in?
As long as the return line is out of the water, can the surrounding water be that deep?
I am designing my sump and I am trying to decide on a baffle height.
I am thinking I will go either 9.5" or 10" either way the return line is above water.[/i]

digitalsteve
06-29-2005, 01:41 AM
i bought one of the buggers and cant seem to get the water level adjusted , i have the flow turned right down but it overflows like there is no tommorow, what do i do !!! this is my first skimmer.... please help me!!!

Salinity Now
06-29-2005, 03:47 AM
Hey digitalsteve, can you post a photo of how you've got it set up? Mine did the same thing for abit as well, when I first plugged it in. It will eventually settle down. If you havn't already, I would give the main chamber and the riser tube a really good scrubbing in hot water. This will really help with the break-in. Also mine came with the valve on page 2, it will really help in controlling the water flow. After a while you can remove it once the skimmer has been broken in. Try altering the water height in your tank also. I did notice with mine that the lower I placed the pump the more foam it created. Which is really contrary to what most are experiencing with this skimmer on the RC forum. Well, for the 2 larger versions anyway.

Salinity Now
06-29-2005, 03:55 AM
Do you know if the CSS has a maximum depth of water it can be submerged in?
As long as the return line is out of the water, can the surrounding water be that deep?
I am designing my sump and I am trying to decide on a baffle height.
I am thinking I will go either 9.5" or 10" either way the return line is above water.

Fire'er up in a 5 gal pail. They are 12" deep. That should work perfectly. Post your results, I'd be curious to see how it did.

digitalsteve
06-29-2005, 03:55 AM
well, i have it set as a hob , with the pump about 4 inches deep , i have that valve set up between the pump and the skimmer to control water flow into the skimmer but when i try to adjust the water flow , the water rises up and starts to overflow into the collection cup. my water height valve or whatever its called is turned right down but i still have a lot of overflow , not really sure what to do , i did clean it out with hot water first but i am still experiencing these problems . another thing is when i taper down the water flow into the skimmer using that little valve i dont get any bubbles so i am at a loss of what to do

Salinity Now
06-29-2005, 04:12 AM
I forgot to mention it's very sensitivity at these early stages. Making a slight turn with either the red dial or the valve will make this thing go crazy. Try really small turns. Make sure you don't have anything blocking either the air silencer or the output tubing vent. Check to make sure that the red dial is pointing directly to the output tubing. Not at 90 degrees to it. This is the lowest setting. Also, check to make sure that the air hose from the air silencer that feeds into the pump is securely attached. If there is not enough air getting into the pump it will be pushing more water, which will cause more overflowing.

digitalsteve
06-30-2005, 01:31 AM
do u get a large amount of micro bubbles entering your tank ? i seem to be getting a ton of them

outtafocus
06-30-2005, 01:32 AM
I had the same problem.
I used the pu,p valve. You have to play with its setting to get bubbles and have a reduced flow.

You have to have the water return exit ABOVE the water level. By having it below causes back pressure on the system and water has no where to go but up.
I dont even have the flex tubing on mine, just the 90 degree into the bubble trap.
The valve is a weird one (red) all the way in either direction is the same, fully open. If you pull off the return 90 you can see the gate in the valve. spin the knob back and forth, this will give you an idea of where the gate actually blocks the return line, there by increasing the water level in the skimmer.

Funny sounds like I know what I am talking about. Considering I was asking the same questions last week. :lol:

Salinity Now
06-30-2005, 05:57 AM
do u get a large amount of micro bubbles entering your tank ? i seem to be getting a ton of them

1. Raise the bubble production diffuser rim to the same elevation of the tanks water line.

2. Pull the black sponge out about 1/2" or a bit more higher than the bubble production diffuser rim.

3. Adjust the output tubing to be just slightly into the sponge. Mine actually goes down about an 1" or more into the hole of the sponge. It isn't causing any back pressure issues so far and it also reduses the amount of salt spray.

4. Get a cold glass of beer and stare at a bubble free tank. :lol:

Salinity Now
06-30-2005, 06:04 AM
Funny sounds like I know what I am talking about. Considering I was asking the same questions last week.

I think anyone that has purchased this skimmer and is able to break it in and produce some tomacco juice knows what their talking about. :smile:

outtafocus
07-08-2005, 02:33 PM
The leak around the red knob has started again. There is no back pressure on the system, so I have no idea whats causing it. Coralife said they would sent me a new o ring, but I have yet to receive it. Till the o ring arrives I have pulled the skimmer off of the tank for now.
Its odd how the skimmer has gone for more than 3weeks with no problems them suddenly this again.

albert_dao
07-09-2005, 02:29 AM
I've found that the microbubbles die down after the skimmer has broken in (2-3 weeks).

outtafocus
07-12-2005, 11:02 PM
I received the o ring from ESU today. However Im pretty sure they did not read the email I sent to them. ESU shipped me the o ring which seals the collection cup to the skimmer body, I am not complaining because now I have a spare.
But my skimmer still leaks at the knob. I will figure something out.

smokinreefer
08-15-2005, 03:12 AM
so whats the verdict on this super skimmer? you all pleased with it?

i am considering a HOB for a smallish tank...
hows the noise, i'd prefer a quiet skimmer as this will be in the TV room.

thanks.

dirtyreefer
08-15-2005, 04:06 AM
I think it's the best HOB back out there (not including the deltec one which I've heard is really good but $$$), mainly because it's using the needlewheel technology.

It's quieter than a Remora, but you can never get a silent skimmer :)

raquel
08-15-2005, 04:33 AM
Hi All,

Well as for my vote, the following info should give it away.

After 2 major leaks, I have packed up the Superskimmer and it now resides in my closet.

I moved it to a new tank and it just went nuts. I guess it had settled down on the first one but it still dripped from various parts.

So, my vote is for my good ol' reliable Aqua C Remora Pro, it's quieter, doesnt leak at all and once I upgraded to a Mag 5 it skims like crazy.

Hope that helps!

PS Anyone wanna buy my Superskimmer?

PSS How do I change the subject line of my old post?

EmilyB
08-15-2005, 06:49 AM
You just go back to your first message and edit the thread title.....might be a good idea in this case.... :eek: :lol:

outtafocus
09-09-2005, 12:21 AM
After several emails with Roland at ESU (coralife) we have decided the best solution to my leaking red adjustment knob on my 65gal super skimmer is to return the main body of the beast back to them and they will ship out a new one.
Im sure the shipping down will be paid by me, so I hope the return shipping will be prepaid.
I must call a girl there to get all the details.
Kind of a PITA.

Saltysteve
09-11-2005, 01:34 AM
My 65 has the same problem, started out leaking then stopped and now it is leaking again :cry:

Let me know how you make out!

Saltysteve
09-11-2005, 01:45 AM
Do you have this flow control valve setup on yours?

Grey piece attaches to the pump :neutral:

:UPDATE:LOL
After investigating, I pulled the output hose off. What a difference, the skimmer is not near as sensitive and it is no longer leaking at the knob. I do not have this limiting valve so I am going to enquire about that.

Still be interested in hearing how you make out!

outtafocus
09-11-2005, 02:21 PM
I was using the valve with Rolands advice, he said that this leaking is a problem with the 65gal model and the valve is included to help.
He suggested 3 things to reduce this leak.
1: pump must be withtin 3inches of the surface (we've already talked about that)
2: use the grey valve and adjust to part way closed
3: make sure your skimmer exit/return line is ablove your water level.

After all of these atempts my skimmer seemed to be working great and no leaks. Dont know why but after two days of running perfect the knob began to leak, at least its in a sump so no mess.
In one of my original emails to Roland I had mentioned the red knob fit very loosely in the valve body, this is why he thinks it needs to go back.
Tried the 1-800# on friday, no surprise but not available in Canada. I am going to have to use the old long distance method. (I should call collect hehe)

Saltysteve
09-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Checked at around 9:00PM .......... its leaking LOL

I pulled the red adjustable knob up, aligned the valve to be fully open and blasted it with clear silicone, pushed the knob back down. I've had it with this leaking LOL

Today I am going to buy some pipe and a small valve. Put an end to it all :lol:

outtafocus
09-11-2005, 04:45 PM
I was thinking I would try that, but I have heard that the pipe diameter is not compatable with any PVC sizes.
Maybe its just a different schedule ie 26 instead of 40.
I guess the best thing is use calipers and find the outside diameter and then go hunting.
If you find something that works, let me know, I would like to fix it my self and not ship it away.

Saltysteve
09-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Well, you are right, the 3/4 inch PVC is a blonde hair too big, due to the lack of pressure, it is holding though. A small amount of silicone would be fine but I have chosen to build it all dry for obvious reasons. I am happy though nonetheless. One thing I will be changing, the ball valve is overkill! Need a better suited valve for ease of adjustability and looks.

It is working, and there is no way that red adjustable valve can leak LOL :lol:

Will improve on the effort and keep it, for sure!

outtafocus
09-12-2005, 03:41 AM
I bet a small gate valve would be perfect.

So did you just take the plunge and cut the old valve right out?
How about any pics?
Thanks

Saltysteve
09-12-2005, 04:01 AM
I'll work on some pictures!
The old valve, I just turned it 'till it was wide open looking through the outlet.
So far no problems but the ball valve definitely has to go.

fatpuffer
09-12-2005, 10:10 PM
Here is my CS 65. It initially leaked under the knob like everybody else's so i just lowered the microbubble level.

It is not as good as the ozone ones but I think it is okay.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/fatpuffer/DSCN16090001Skim1.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/fatpuffer/DSCN16100001Skim2.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/fatpuffer/DSCN16110001Skim3.jpg

Sorry, pix are not that great.

Microbubble level is about quarter of an inch above the tube. It was pulling darker skimmate, but when i fed last night...it produced more wet skimmate.

Js

Saltysteve
09-13-2005, 04:45 AM
Here is a picture of the mod. I have found out that with this setup it is best to have the output submersed. Makes the valve a little easier to find the sweet spot! I will still be looking for a more suitable valve though. Seems to be working well, no more intermittent leaks.

Hope yours remains troublefree!

http://rcpilot.users.sunwave.net/modified_skimmer.jpg

fatpuffer
09-13-2005, 01:14 PM
Thanks! Where did u get that valve? Did u silicone it? I have not seen mine leak (knock on wood) for a while. BUT if it does leak...I will do what u did.

Thanks.

JS

rudy
09-13-2005, 01:55 PM
With that ball valve, are you using the bubble difuser? Doesn't look like it so I was not sure.

By the way I have a 220 and a 125 going on two different tanks. They seem to work very well and I have not had any leaks. Only comments I would have is:

1. First night with the 220 model I almost burned my house down. (my error. The valve is finicky and water was actually coming out of the air valve at the top of the skimmer due to back pressure I assume. I fixed this by just attaching an air hose and although it is pointed into the tank it is out of the water. Good news is I now use GFIs and the skimmer works well now.

2. I changed out the sponge at the bottom of the diffuser to something a bit more porous. After a night the white sponge at the bottom seemed to be causing more back pressure in the output. Luckily this time I had the airline tube on there.

Saltysteve
09-13-2005, 03:35 PM
Local hardware store carries everything, cost was about 10.00 dollars complete. Everything is dry right now in case the idea failed. Once I buy a better valve I will be gluing it. Silicone will work for sure. Not using the bubble diffuser, had to take it right off due to the original valve and leak.
This is a problem apparently with the 65 model.

rudy
09-13-2005, 03:39 PM
What is the bubbles like? any salt creep?

Saltysteve
09-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Bubbles without the diffuser? I have the output tube submersed over top of a piece of liverock so no troubles there. Also no micro bubbles visible etc.

outtafocus
09-14-2005, 03:42 AM
I see, you just siliconed the valve open and added the new onto the output. Good thinking.

I have a plan which will be much more compact but requires the complete removal of the old valve. I found a few different compresion fittings meant for use with pex and cpvc. I am hoping the the outside diameter of the output piping is very close to that of the cpvc or pex pipe. The fitting which will work best is a 90degree comp to mpt (male pipe thread) then I just attach which ever valve I want as long as it has 3/4" NPT threads (national pipe thread).
Now I just need to take the skimmer and a pair of calipers into Rona and make my measurements. If I feel the sizes are close enough I will chop off the old valve(eek).
I will post my findings in the next couple of days.

outtafocus
09-19-2005, 11:12 PM
So after a few measurements my plan will not work.

Looks like the body of the skimmer his heading down to California.
This way I get a whole new body, and I hope a nice tight fitting adjustment knob. Mine was really loose.

Saltysteve
09-20-2005, 03:22 AM
That sucks!
I have no complaints with mine! So far everything is running very well.
No leaks just skimmate :lol:

outtafocus
09-21-2005, 12:38 AM
When the new skimmer arrives, if there is still any issues I will just go with your plan.
I figured since they offered the replacement I would go for it.

dewy
09-25-2005, 11:01 AM
got mine in september for 120 gal with sump. problem is water level in sump to low for pump to suck air in. I can not find strong enough pump that will fit. If I cut the suction line any shorter the pmp will be out of the water. I have an air pump hooked up for now but just a temp fix
would not buy again unless hanging on back of a tank

outtafocus
10-06-2005, 11:41 PM
My new skimmer arrived today from Coralife. I will be hooking it up to the tank on the weekend.
The red adjustment knob which was the cause of my leak is much tighter, meaning I probably had a bum unit to start with.
I was amazed how quickly they shipped out the replacement.
Thumbs up to ESU in that regard.

outtafocus
10-08-2005, 08:51 PM
The new skimmer has been connected now for 24hrs and is already pulling out some nasty stuff. Best of all it isnt leaking.

I still believe this is a great skimmer for the money, seeing as I dont have the cash to shell out for a Euroreef I am happy.