PDA

View Full Version : Whoops I built my tank too big.

Kiznik
05-03-2005, 04:27 AM
I just built a new tank to fit on my 22 inch by 31.5 inch cabinet, and I built it 20 inches by 32 inches (1 ft high). OOPS. It's half an inch too wide. I'm wondering if I can let it hang over the two sides by 1/8 inch and let it rest on the front and back. The two sides will then be hanging over the edges of the cabinet. It has a 1/2 inch floating bottom, so it would rest just on the 2 front and back pieces of glass. The glass is all 1/4 inch in thickness.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-03-2005, 04:29 AM
Couldn't you just cut and place a piece of plywood & foam insulation on top of your cabinet to fit the tank?

Anthony

Murminator
05-03-2005, 04:30 AM
:eek: not me I would build to cover the whole footprint do it now or regret it later....Oh and remember measure twice cut once :razz:

Oh and welcome to the board :smilecol:

EmilyB
05-03-2005, 05:25 AM
:eek:

j-roc
05-03-2005, 12:22 PM
:eek: not me I would build to cover the whole footprint do it now or regret it later....Oh and remember measure twice cut once :razz:

Oh and welcome to the board :smilecol:

I'have to agree w/ Murminator.
Build it properly so you can sleep at night.

Dez
05-03-2005, 12:30 PM
It's fine hanging over the edge. I had a 75 gallon just supported on the ends so I had a 4 ft. span with no support in the middle and it was fine. The guy who had the tank before me had it set up the same way for years, and the guy who has the tank now has it set up the same way. No worries Jason.

Des

StirCrazy
05-03-2005, 12:46 PM
It's fine hanging over the edge. I had a 75 gallon just supported on the ends so I had a 4 ft. span with no support in the middle and it was fine. The guy who had the tank before me had it set up the same way for years, and the guy who has the tank now has it set up the same way. No worries Jason.

Des
tanks are designed to have no suport in the middle but not for the ends, it is probably fairly critical that all edges are suported. a quick fix would be to double up a couple chunks of plywood and put it on top of the cabnet to make up for the shortcommings, this should be ridgid enuf to suport the tank properly.

Steve

Kiznik
05-03-2005, 07:16 PM
thanks for the ideas. I'm going to stack up some plywood or something underneath the tank near the two edges so the extra wood won't be visable, and the edges will be hanging off 1/4 inch on each side, but there will be some support. of the tank explodes, I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Dez
05-04-2005, 01:07 AM
I disagree with Steve on this one because you only have 30 gallons or less of water volume depending where you run your water level. But this is just based on experience with more water. It freaked me out at first. I have seen custom tanks that stack on top of each other glass to glasse in which the whole thing was supported just on 2 pieces that were cut 8 inches longer to rest on them. This was a store!!!! This was their display tanks and they were 75 gallons as well. I actually owned a couple of these stacking ones for a while but sold them before I set them up because I had no use for them at the time.

This isn't an argument, or a flame, just an opinion in good nature. :cool:

Des

BCOrchidGuy
05-10-2005, 02:44 AM
Murray, what's this measure twice and cut once stuff, don't you watch Red Green or Tim the tool man?

Okay all joking aside, myself I've had 20 gallon tanks and 15s that extended over an edge about an inch or so with no issues but if I was going to build a breeding room again I would fully support everything.

FWIW I had some 15s and some 20s on ply with an inch or so over hang and I had some 15s and 20s on just a couple of 2x4s I had them in a typical fish store set up, side facing front/back and they all were on 3 2x4s that ran sideways so the tanks sat side facing front but the wood was running across the narrow width of the tanks. It worked with out trouble but again if I was going to build another breeding room I'd support it all properly.

Doug