PDA

View Full Version : no name or Icecap?

smokinreefer
11-14-2001, 05:49 PM
hey guys,
i currently run 2 400W 6500k MH on my tank. i also have 2 40W NO actinics.

i may in the near future add some VHO actinics...i feel my tank is lacking on the color department. what i want to know is this...is there a big advantage to use an icecap ballast? or can i just go to the lighting store and pick up a VHO ballast?

TIA

DJ88
11-14-2001, 06:27 PM
Heya,

Personally I'd go for the icecap. It is such a flexible ballast. Even just the 430 is great IMO. They even drive the NO actinics brightly. Try it, you won't be disappointed..

reefburnaby
11-15-2001, 12:50 AM
Hello,

Icecap : They are flexible, hassle free and can drive NO, HO, VHO and PCs...but at $240+, they are a bit expensive.

On the other hand, you can get something at albright that lights a VHO for around $60 to $100 for 2xVHOs. Something from Workhorse should allow you to do the NO, HO, VHO and PC flexibility...but this route is a bit of a hassle and requires a bit of DIY. There will be minor differences between Icecap and other ballasts, but it can be made to do roughly the same thing. So, you are looking at 1/2 the cost of Icecap with a Workhorse.

Unless you are really tight on cash, I would go with the Icecap. If you are interested in the other routes, then I can give you some suggestions.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

George
11-15-2001, 02:35 PM
Hi Victor,
Where can you find one of the workhorse ballasts you mentioned?

Thanks
George

George
11-15-2001, 05:07 PM
Thanks guys. My Icecap was dead because of saltwater splash. I need something cheap to replace it. I will check out the lighting stores this weekend.

George

Shadetree
11-15-2001, 06:07 PM
George,

Contact Icecap and explain the situation, they are usually pretty good at their customer service.

Scott

smokinreefer
11-15-2001, 06:43 PM
if i got a workhorse, would i be able to run NO bulbs like you can on the icecap?

reefburnaby
11-15-2001, 10:29 PM
Hello,

Workhorse drive NO like a Icecap ....well... kind of. Do you mean drive a 40W tube as bright as a 2/3 of VHO ?

- Victor.

DJ88
11-15-2001, 11:00 PM
You will be able to run NO if that is what you are asking.. If you mean as efficiently as an Icecap and over drive them? I dont think so.. not to the degree that IC ballasts do.. IF the workhorse will at all.

smokinreefer
11-16-2001, 12:48 AM
yeah, thats what i mean victor. no biggie if they dont, but would be cool if they did.

hey darren, hows the tank recovering?...did you say you picked up another cap? didnt see any at JL.

reefburnaby
11-16-2001, 01:49 AM
Hello,

Yes you can, if you really want to images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I am currently testing a method of overdriving a NO without the use of a Icecap on my 90. It fairly experimental, it uses Home depot parts and it costs $20 per lamp (includes ballast, sockets, lamp). Each lamp produces roughly 4000 lumens or close to a 55W PC. There is also a 6000 lumens version...close to VHOs, but its $35 per lamp.

From what I have read on RC, nobody has done this before...yet. I have only had the setup running for a couple of weeks...so I need time to test it and verify its operation. Hope you understand images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

- Victor.

DJ88
11-16-2001, 04:55 AM
You can get them at albrite electrical.. In PoCo..

Just bought a 3x3 workhorse there..

FlameAngel
11-16-2001, 04:56 AM
George,

I know WestCoast Lighting in PoCo.. sells a LOT of industrial VHO, NO, MH, ballasts... check them out.

FlameAngel

DJ88
11-16-2001, 08:31 AM
Shao,

It's coming along.. The algae bloom is going away..

And it came in last saturday. I was there as the door opened. They had ordered a dozen and recieved only one. Its isn't as tightly whorled as my old one but is still nice. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif I'll keep it.. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif