PDA

View Full Version : Pink Sponge?

krissyfish20
04-26-2005, 06:24 AM
I've noticed in the last 3 weeks or so this growth on my watermelon mushroom rock that looks an awful lot like a sponge. It's pink, and I'm just wondering where it came from and if it is okay for my tank. I know sponges are fine for tanks (you can buy them at the store, right?) but I was just wondering if it might be something other than a sponge that could harm my tank. It's not cyano or anything, and my mushrooms dont seem to be dying. My tanks is 3 years old and I havent introduced new live rock in there for a long time so I dont know how it propagated. Has anyone else ever had a sponge randomly grow in their tank starting from nothing?? I don't have a picture of it but all I can say is it looks like a sponge. ;)

scotchy
04-26-2005, 09:36 AM
I have a pink sponge and a blue sponge that have grown on the underside of one of my zoo rocks. They started out as just specks on the bottom of the rock now they are each about palm size. I am hoping they will spread to the rocks around them eventually. Just a lucky hitchhiker. Some people get crabs, we got sponges. :biggrin:

Scott

danny zubot
04-26-2005, 05:02 PM
Man! All I get are the boring grey and bluish colored sponges. If you don't want it there I find a quick fresh air bath will eliminate them. Or you could try a dwarf angel fish. I'm not sure where mine came from either, are you sure you haven't added anything in the past little while?

muck
04-26-2005, 05:11 PM
I have a ton of pink sponge growing in my tank. It only grows on the underside of the rocks. My dwarf angel doesn't touch it and and when I re-aquascaped i had most of the rock out of water for a good 20mins. The sponge didn't seem to mind. It doesn't bother me so I let it be. :cool:

Murminator
04-26-2005, 05:12 PM
I have bright yellows growing on the undersides of rocks and between zoos