PDA

View Full Version : Are Seio's still's great..

Willow
04-25-2005, 06:21 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=579561

Richer
04-25-2005, 06:23 AM
Strange, I thought seios didn't have any oil in them... :eek:

-Rich

albert_dao
04-25-2005, 07:38 AM
^ no kidding!

StirCrazy
04-25-2005, 12:49 PM
I think its a troll post as there is no oil in a SEIO, it is and epoxie coated magnetic coil. so either he works for a competitor of SEIO or justs has a grudge against SEIO

Steve

G1GY
04-25-2005, 01:44 PM
There is no oil in these new pumps and it would not be possible for it to melt while submerged in water.

I call BS.

danny zubot
04-25-2005, 03:14 PM
I didn't know SEIO and Rio were the same company. I hade a Rio that seized a while ago, the ceramic bering just wore out. I wouldn't recomend them anyway, oil or no oil.

Tarolisol
04-25-2005, 04:14 PM
Oh come on there is no way a maker of aquarium realated equipment would put oil in there pumps. It just doesnt make sence.

Willow
04-25-2005, 04:20 PM
i find it hard to belive that a competitor would post something like that on reef central. he wouldnt post a picture of the pump or the oil spill so it must be a load of crap. within a few minutes of the thread there was another one with someone else complaining about their seio seizing up after 4 months, a number of people posted that they had similar problems with them as well.

OCDP
04-25-2005, 04:41 PM
good to know after i just bought one on Friday... was told they are best of the best right now.....?

Willow
04-25-2005, 04:59 PM
they are more like a knockoff of the tunze stream.

OCDP
04-25-2005, 05:06 PM
Oh I see... well if it makes any difference, I like the way that it circulates.. not just a direct stream.. I have never used a tunze, so no comment.. so far so good with mine..... hahah im paranoid now.

albert_dao
04-25-2005, 05:20 PM
They are the best in that size range. There's no way you're getting a Tunze into a 20 gallon and nothing else compares.

OCDP
04-25-2005, 05:26 PM
I wasn't told they were the best of the best for my tank size.
I was told they are the best of the best, best you can get right now.
I have just heard lots of bad, bad things about Rio. So it's instinct to become paranoid when you know it's the same maker... and it makes you a little weary, that's all I am saying.

whaase
04-25-2005, 06:07 PM
I don't believe that they leaked oil, but, I won't ever buy one again. Mine has had problems from the day I put it in my tank... Maybe a lemon, but, I don't want to find out the expensive way.

Walter

StirCrazy
04-25-2005, 07:15 PM
If you take a SEIO apart and take a mag drive apart you will see they are built identical as to how the shaft goes in the housing, the SEIO's are the same construction as the magdrives, maxijets, and tunze just different looks to keep the patent people happy.

and as for oil in aquariun pump yes Reio used to use a oil bathed set up and yes they used to have leakes and wipe out tanks, but concider this the amount of Reios out there far surpassed any other pump and we only have a hand full on incidents where they melted down. but the SEIO's are not this type of construction so that problem isn't possible.

Oh and RC is famous for competators/people with personal vendetas against a company, posting things like this.

Steve

Gujustud
04-25-2005, 07:21 PM
I'll believe it when he shows a picture. I have replaced all my PH's with seio's (2x 620), and love them so far.

I DO have a problem with one starting up. If I unplug it for any reason, then plug it back in, SOMETIMES it doesn't start up right away, and I'll have to unplug, wait a few seconds/minutes and plug it back in, and it starts up.

Funky_Fish14
04-25-2005, 09:45 PM
Seems like no-one read much of the thread but later on they decided it probably wasnt oil and it was probably the epoxy or plastic around the shaft.

Chris

albert_dao
04-25-2005, 10:41 PM
If you take a SEIO apart and take a mag drive apart you will see they are built identical as to how the shaft goes in the housing, the SEIO's are the same construction as the magdrives, maxijets, and tunze just different looks to keep the patent people happy.

and as for oil in aquariun pump yes Reio used to use a oil bathed set up and yes they used to have leakes and wipe out tanks, but concider this the amount of Reios out there far surpassed any other pump and we only have a hand full on incidents where they melted down. but the SEIO's are not this type of construction so that problem isn't possible.

Oh and RC is famous for competators/people with personal vendetas against a company, posting things like this.

Steve

Thank Goodness, I was a set of stairs and a screwdriver away from taking my extra 620 apart just to bust this debate, seriously.

StirCrazy
04-26-2005, 12:08 AM
Seems like no-one read much of the thread but later on they decided it probably wasnt oil and it was probably the epoxy or plastic around the shaft.

Chris

well if thats what it was then we better take any pump out as there common "Magnetic drive" type pumps are all made this way.

Steve

G1GY
04-26-2005, 02:30 AM

Chris

I did read that part of the thread. I still call BS on the whole thing! :eek:

Something smells rotten in that thread............. and it aint a pump!