PDA

View Full Version : Found something weird..

geopod
04-23-2005, 04:44 AM
I was looking in my tank tonight and noticed something with long strands of white.Looks like a spider web.It isnt a spaghetti worm as I have lots of those and know what they are.I used my finger to touch it and the white strands all sucked back into a rock these strands of white reach out about 6 inch or so.Anyone kow what they are and is it bad for the tank??I will try to take a pic but I dont think I can do a macro shot ....

george

mr_alberta
04-23-2005, 04:46 AM
Are these white stands about as thick as a hair and seem to be sticky? If so, I believe it is feeding tentacles from some sort of snail...

kuatto
04-23-2005, 05:03 AM
They look like a small tube with a snail shell at the end(real small).I have them all through the tank,they are harmless.

Aquattro
04-23-2005, 05:32 AM
I have one growing out of the center of a coral. The kids named it Peter (as in Parker) :rolleyes:

geopod
04-23-2005, 03:13 PM
So far I havent seen the snail shell that evryone is talking about.They do seem sticky though and always moving not flowing with the water but actually you can watch the strands contracting and extracting.But if you say it is harmless pppphhhhheeeewwwwwww I was worried that the last bit of rock I bought from someone here in edmonton gave me a surprise....

Keen
04-23-2005, 06:22 PM
unless you start noticing that things are dissappearing in your tank all of a sudden, then dont worry about it.

russell
04-23-2005, 11:44 PM
Sounds to me like a Vermetid snail. If it is there harmless and a good sign that your tank is healthy. Here's an article by Shimek, scroll down to about the middle of the page... http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rs/

Duaine

Edmonton Eskimo
04-24-2005, 01:43 AM
Holy cow duaine where have you been hiding! All those frags I got from you are thriving and reproducing. I'll probably have to start fragging them myself soon.

geopod
04-24-2005, 02:46 AM
Thanks duine....That is what it is I searched the net for awhile and couldnt figure them out but That is definsately them.

thanks.Now I have to read it to see what they are all about

george