PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Pump on Skimmer

Tigger
04-20-2005, 07:53 PM
I'm trying to increase the output of my AquaC 180 skimmer. The recommend pump is a mag 7. I was told that if I increase the size of the pump, it would work better. How big of a pump can I put on? Do you think that if I hook up a Mak 4 pump to it, I will end up damaging the skimmer? How about the Quiet One 3000 or 4000?

Let me know what you think, especially if you have experience with these skimmers.

Thanks

Delphinus
04-20-2005, 08:00 PM
I'm not particularly familiar with that skimmer model but I doubt you can damage it by using a too-big pump. Usually if a pump is too big for a skimmer it's just going to pour water out the foam collection cup. But as to predicting whether a Mak4 will put you there, I can't help on that one, sorry.

rickjames
04-20-2005, 08:34 PM
If you got a Mak4 and it was too much flow you could always tee it off before going into the skimmer with one pipe going straight to the skimmer and one pipe going back into the sump and a ball joint on it. That way you could control what percentage of the water from the Mak4 goes into your skimmer.

If it were me I would try a Mak4 and then do this if you have problems. JMO.

LostMind
04-20-2005, 09:54 PM
I have a mag9 on my aqua c ev 180

It works fine....

anything more powerful imo would be counter productive.

Tigger
04-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. As long as you guys don't think anythink will break due to too much pressure, I will give a higher rating pump a try.

whaase
04-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Just a side note, if you ever need to replace your injector, e-mail AquaC. I got a replacement for $10 shipped.

Walter