PDA

View Full Version : sea hare/slug

wayner
04-20-2005, 03:11 AM
I bought an above this week-end, for a few patches of hair/other algae, I came home tonight to find this mini ball of string stuck to the side of a rock, not knowing too much about sea hares I figured he melted or something, then I see him crawling on a rock in the back with what looks like, I could be wrong, a new coat?, do these things shed?, this is my first expierence with one, I heard when there bothered or stresed they might shoot ink, which could be toxic, but this is not ink, water is fine, it just looks like noodles stuck to the rock, and quite a few noodles.

Don't tell me this is a dump, cause if it is, he's gone.

wayner
04-20-2005, 03:24 AM
I went down and looked at the tank again, it's still there :eek: a light went on when I was looking at my 6 line & Lubbock's fairy wrasse, I think I remember reading somewhere that fairy wrasses will sometimes build cocoon's to call home or something like that.

Anyone have any expierences with Wrasses?

Willow
04-20-2005, 03:34 AM
i used to see small hunks of crap fall off of mine all the time. it was hard to tell if it was skin or what, he basically looks like a mobile dumpster with crap stuck all over him. as far as i know they don't shed a new coat though.

wayner
04-20-2005, 03:36 AM
Yeah, got me thinking the wrasse is responsible.

Willow
04-20-2005, 03:42 AM
maybe they are peanut worms?

wayner
04-20-2005, 04:10 AM
Don't think so, they just appeared out of nowhere, it's like a mound, stuck on the side of a rock, like noodles/spaghetti, all inter-twined together. there's quite the mound, 3 inches long, never noticed anything before tonight, it's like someone just glued it there.

Delphinus
04-20-2005, 05:19 AM
I guess it could be a wrasse cocoon? :confused:

Can you snap a picture of it?

Usually a wrasse sleeping cocoon kind of has a sleeping wrasse in it (don't ask me where the cocoon goes when the wrasse wakes up but I've never seen them linger for long), so .... I dunno I kind of have my doubts. It could be, it could be something else.

I've never noticed my sea hares shed their skin but then I don't know much about them. Sorry.