PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Yellow Fiji Leather

trilinearmipmap
04-19-2005, 05:30 PM
I am looking at buying a Yellow Fiji leather for my 120g mixed LPS/softie tank.

I have read about some problems with Yellow Fiji Leathers so I wanted to ask about others' experiences before I buy one.

I have heard they are fairly high maintainence for soft corals, needing high light. Also I have heard they are fairly toxic to other corals. And I have heard they may ship poorly and they may sometimes disintegrate from the base.

If anyone can tell me about their experiences with this coral, good or bad, I would appreciate it.

danny zubot
04-19-2005, 06:44 PM
I bought a Yellow Fiji frag from the LFS a while ago. it was a peice that fell off of the mother leather. It was about 3/4 inch square and it took me a long time to get it to stick on a rock in my tank. For a while I thought it died, but then I found it under some rocks in the back of the tank. After I finally got it to stick it did very well. I always keep it up high and in reasonable flow but not direct. It grows very slowly but now has decent polyp extension. I don't feed my corals, but this one definately shows that it struggles with poor water quality.

I would rate it among the harder of leather corals but I wouldn't say that its a difficult coral like SPS or LPS though. I say go for it, you'll really enjoy having one.

trilinearmipmap
04-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Thanks Danny.

Anyone else have input?

danny zubot
04-19-2005, 07:51 PM
You could also ask Marie from Powel River about hers.

marie
04-20-2005, 12:43 AM
I received mine from oceanaquatics last Nov.. It ended up nearly 24hrs in transit but as soon as it was put in the tank the polyps extended. There was a small spot on the edge that was brown and starting to disintegrate which i blasted with the turkey baster.
I have it high up in the tank under 440w of vho, about 5" under the surface where it gets good waterflow. I have frequently seen it catch freeze dried cyclopeeze, whether it actually eats it or not i don't know :mrgreen:.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/2005_0114misc0005.jpg

oh and there is a fogspawn and a hammer in the same tank that appear to be completely unaffected by the leathers presence

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-20-2005, 01:19 AM
And Marie's corals are even more beautiful in person, in case anybody feels like catching BC Ferries over to Powell River.

Anthony

trilinearmipmap
04-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks I definitely will get one then.