PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp Help

Murminator
04-19-2005, 03:01 AM
Why do shrimp hate me?? Quite a few months back I bought a sexy shrimp looked happy healthy appeared to be eating then one week to the day he died :cry: so I chalked it up to inexperience and a fairly new reef 2 months old. I did do the tests everything was perfect. Now last week I thought I would try another shrimp this time a cleaner everything seem fine he was active he liked to be hand fed through a syringe, he would reach up inside a pull food out. Then exactly 1 week to the day dead :eek: he was swaying around in the morning before work when I came home he was lying dead underneath a rock ledge. Once again I tested everything and it was perfect. I fed them Cyclopeeze, Marine Cuisine, Emerald Entree, Marine Max, flake and whatever else I have.
What am I doing wrong?? Any ideas??

I have noticed time to time that my nitrate has moved a little off 0 but not enough to register the next number. I just think it is the lighting putting the color off a bit.

DanG
04-19-2005, 03:47 AM
Have you checked your SG and pH? I've found my shrimp to be more sensetive than fish to those 2....

Murminator
04-19-2005, 04:03 AM
SG and Ph are good :confused:

mr_alberta
04-19-2005, 04:04 AM
You're sure its not a molt?

Murminator
04-19-2005, 04:28 AM
Nope he was in there deader than a doornail :sad:

danny zubot
04-19-2005, 04:31 PM
Do you dose strontium and iodide? Inverts need them to stay healthy. Other wise I'd say you have a predator in your tank.

Beverly
04-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Murray,

What are your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium levels? Doing weekly water changes of at least 15% will usually replace trace elements, but will not do much to change the big three mentioned above.

marie
04-22-2005, 02:47 PM
How long did you take to introduce them to the tank? I once bought 2 cleaner shrimp and didn't get home until midnight. After testing the sg of the bag water and figuring it was close enough to my tank water i decided to rush the process, taking only half an hour to put them into my tank. The first one died within a week and the second one took a week and a half :frown:.

Murminator
04-22-2005, 04:18 PM
Murray,

What are your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium levels? Doing weekly water changes of at least 15% will usually replace trace elements, but will not do much to change the big three mentioned above.

As for Cal, Alk, Mag... haven't bought any tests for these yet :redface: BUT I am faithful for my water changes.
Marie I floated the bag for about 40min then I put him in a pail with a drip for about 3 1/2 hrs and almost overflowed the pail :eek: