PDA

View Full Version : Need lights help me!

inverted
04-18-2005, 04:14 PM
Help, I'm being bombarded every where,

I need a great set up for a 90 gallon aquarium (has 69 gallon sump)

this is the first time I'm taking the dive to hallides,

I want to go w/ 20k 400w, and for the dusk dawn effect I want to get compact fluorescents, a strip of 10k and and the Actinic. I also want to go with the moon glow.

Does anybody know what brand is the best to go for or what the best route to get a great final product at around 1000 dollars is?

mr_alberta
04-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Are you willing to do most of it yourself? Because if you are, you can get a very incredible setup for less than $1000.

inverted
04-18-2005, 11:52 PM
Are you willing to do most of it yourself? Because if you are, you can get a very incredible setup for less than $1000.

Sign me up, where do I get them from, I'm at your mercy :D

Please tell me, what do i do guru?

jws444
04-19-2005, 12:01 AM
Almost all aquaria message boards have a DIY section. No one can really tell you exactly what to do, but it helps if you're handy with tools and not shy with projects - particuarly high current devices.

Sounds like you're rushing a bit to get your "crazy unsual creatures that will make your head spin." I don't think getting a freakshow tank should be the main purpose of any reefer. :lol:

mr_alberta
04-19-2005, 12:14 AM
Sign me up, where do I get them from, I'm at your mercy :D

Please tell me, what do i do guru?

Places to get parts are:

LiteMor (Edmonton) -> Workhorse ballasts and endcaps, etc
Bartle + Gibson (Edmonton) -> MH M59 or M135 Ballasts and parts
Aquaria Canada (online) -> ARC MH 400W Bulbs
JL Aquatics (online) -> PC Bulbs, nice reflector
MRO Electronics (Edmonton) -> LED and associated parts for moonlights
Home Depot (Edmonton) -> Wood for canopy, misc supplies

Places to read up on are:

www.reefcentral.com
www.canreef.com
www.aquariumpros.ca
www.aquariacanada.com

Richer
04-19-2005, 12:17 AM
A couple of m59 ballasts from an electronic wholesale place should fire up most 400w bulbs. You'll just need to get your own enclosure (I believe Des said he could make one up for a decent price). Depending on what kind of PC lights you want to run, a workhorse ballast should be more than sufficient.

I DIYed my entire lightsetup (2x175watt MH and 1x95watt VHO actinic) minus the reflector. I got my MH ballasts from bartle and gibson on fort rd, and I got my workhorse 7 from Litemor.

Hope that helps.

*edit* hah, looks like Harvey beat me to it and with more details too!
-Rich

kuatto
04-19-2005, 01:05 AM
Look here for mh ballasts

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php

muck
04-19-2005, 04:11 AM
Look here for mh ballasts

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php
Dead link Jim... :neutral:

inverted
04-19-2005, 01:36 PM
:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :onfire: :onfire: Thank you all for the direction :D