PDA

View Full Version : Farming Coral

Ryan
04-17-2005, 05:01 PM
We have built a green house for raising fish this summer. To keep the fish we are keeping them in those blue 45 gallon drums cut in half. There is one left over that we cant think of anything to put in it so I was thinking why not do easy-to-keep corals like mushrooms and zoos. They would be getting tons of light because it is outside and we can run a heater at night to make sure the water stays at the right temp.So would it work if I fill one of these half drums up with LR and put the corals in it? Or am I wasting my time?

Rikko
04-17-2005, 05:11 PM
Ever read the Book of Coral Propagation by Calfo? It's a whole book on coral gardening, including a LOT of material on coral greenhouses. It's definitely done in places and workable (and apparently profitable).. If you want to get a little more background try All Things Salty forum on RC and ask the author himself.

Ryan
04-17-2005, 05:14 PM
K thanks. THis isnt to make money this is to get frags into local tanks. Breeding the african cichlids and livebearers is for the cash part.

danny zubot
04-18-2005, 02:58 PM
I would think there is more money in coral propigation than African propigation. :confused:

Ryan
04-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Africans are easier to do for our first time. Them things breed anywhere and everywhere. Plus in lethbridge the marke on africans in 10 times larger than the market of Saltwater right now.

danny zubot
04-18-2005, 03:25 PM
That could change in the next couple of years. If you started farming corals now you'll be ahead of the game when the reef bug hits town! :biggrin:

Ryan
04-18-2005, 04:25 PM
ya we could but this is our first run at this. I should see how 1 barrel goes before i start on 8 barrels. That way if it doesnt work I am just out the money for 1 barrel instead of 8 and I still have fish that are bringing in cash.