PDA

View Full Version : MH bulb orientation

Chin_Lee
04-17-2005, 07:13 AM
I don't know if its just me but I loosened a MH horizontal bulb slightly so that the inner tube and metal parts are parallel to water surface and noticed the brightness increased ..... according to my eyes. Is this how the bulbs should line up?

Second question: I can't get two of my bulbs to get the parts parallel - turning one way is too loose and the other way the bulbs too tight to keep turning. is there a way to adjust the socket so I can get them parallel?

cwlee

Aquattro
04-17-2005, 07:24 AM
I've read it doesn't matter how they're aligned. I've never noticed any difference with my bulbs.

Tom R
04-17-2005, 04:09 PM
I have read something on having the stack in the glass tube pointing up. This was to get the most efficient use of the bulb. Since then a number of people have just laught when I have suggested that. To compensate for the quarter or half turn required you would have to adjust the mogal. I have pulled the contact point in the base of the mogal out so that the bulb will touch with yet a quarter of a turn to go.

Tom R

StirCrazy
04-17-2005, 04:15 PM
:rolleyes: ok ok don't get this nipple thing going again, it doesn't make a difference on PAR output (I have tested this my self as well as several other big names in the US)

Chin Lee, I could see if your metal frame is causing a slight shadow then turning it might make it brighter but most people would never notice that at all. could some other conditions have changed during the time the bulb was off for you to change it? or could it be a illusion as it was off for a while to cool down and then to restart after you switched it so it seamed brighter?

Steve

Chin_Lee
04-17-2005, 05:28 PM
Must be my eyes :cool: maybe taking off my sunglasses had something to do with it. Since the PAR testing indicated no difference, then I'm happy because its less work for me! Thanks all and no thanks for indirectly suggesting for me to get my eyes checked :biggrin:

Aquattro
04-17-2005, 05:55 PM
maybe taking off my sunglasses had something to do with it.

Reminds me. I came in from a bike ride the other day with my amber lenses on, tank looked really cool!! :biggrin:

StirCrazy
04-17-2005, 06:14 PM
maybe taking off my sunglasses had something to do with it.

Reminds me. I came in from a bike ride the other day with my amber lenses on, tank looked really cool!! :biggrin:

I have a amber filter for my camera, it is suposed to intensify the blue spectrum, maybe I should try take some pics with it.

Steve