PDA

View Full Version : Interesting link

UnderWorldAquatics
04-17-2005, 01:45 AM
Here is a link to a tank that was featured in one of the reef magazine anuals a few years back, its comming along nicely...

http://thelocust.org/gallery/20041022aquarium

Veng68
04-17-2005, 01:57 AM
Wow.......... I always wondered what came of Richard Harkers 2000 gallon monster :biggrin:

I hope it's in next years Reefs USA.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

LostMind
04-17-2005, 05:21 AM
wow, he has a real algae problem :(

nice tank though!

UnderWorldAquatics
04-17-2005, 06:21 AM

nice tank though!

I believe that he wanted to keep the tank more natural, as in not bare and desolate like most of our hospitl clean tanks...

LostMind
04-17-2005, 07:54 AM
heh, thats cool... let the pink fuzzy algae grow over your nice sps corals just like it does in the wild... at least it does where humans have screwed up the local environment :)

Which, is basically what we've done to our fishtanks I spose...

Personally, even at 2000g I'd have it nice and desolate like my current barebottom 90g :)

StirCrazy
04-17-2005, 04:17 PM
I believe that he wanted to keep the tank more natural, as in not bare and desolate like most of our hospitl clean tanks...

personaly I think that is an excuse for "Its to big for me to take care of by myself properly" that much algae is not natural looking.

Steve

thelocust
04-20-2005, 05:28 PM

nice tank though!

Hey -- ben here from thelocust.org here! I noticed I was getting hits from this forum, and decided to see what the fuss was about.

I went down there to Richard's house in North Carolina as a guest of Bruce Davidson from Sandy's Pet Shop here in Louisville. I don't know a saltwater aquarium from my elbow -- Bruce and I were travelling down there for a model sailplane competition and we stopped by Richard's house!

As to the "algae problem", I think I can shed some light... According to Richard, he was on vacation and the guy he had doing maintenance made some pretty boneheaded (boneheaded to you salty geeks) moves. I don't remember the exact details, but something about a water changeout with regular tap water, and I seem to remember something about a high-than-normal water temperature to boot. I may not know much about saltwater aquariums, but I know that warm, hard water is algae's playground!

So, from what I gathered, Richard normally has a "clean" tank. Bruce jokingly told me that "it was okay for you lay people to take pictures of his tank like this, but I'm not going to out of respect".

Nonetheless, the tank and all the setup he has at his house is really fascinating! He also had a small "breeder" tank with these little spiny worms in it -- too cool!

LostMind
04-20-2005, 05:32 PM
ahhhh, so that makes sense. Thanks for the update!