PDA

View Full Version : how do I get more good algae

fishguyxd
04-16-2005, 03:19 AM
Well my water is currently low in ca and alk so I have seen some posts saying add this and that I have been looking at some reef builder solutions seachem/kent ca/alk increaser. How well do they work (time frame)and how much do I add. I am trying to get more coraline algae in a 6+ month old 72 gal tank I have none (purple type algea) on glass and only some on the LR that it came with, but it has not progressed I only have a little bit of brownish type algea. I just don't want to buy these produsts and find there no good.any comments or ideas. please and thanks[/b]

Aquattro
04-16-2005, 03:21 AM
What salt are you using, what are your levels at now, what kits did you measure these levels with and what do you have for corals?

fishguyxd
04-16-2005, 03:30 AM
I have red sea salt brand I had 180 for ca and 240 for alk. the test kit that was used was a hagen one (a Lfs tested a water sample for me) and I have no corals yet until I get proper lighting I just have crappy florescents

Aquattro
04-16-2005, 03:39 AM
OK, I think those numbers are wrong. 180 is way too low for Ca, and 240 converts to almsot 5 mEq/l, which is just wrong. Buy some test kits, because you really do need your own, and test your new water. That isn't a real populr slat, so I'm not familiar with the levels out of the bag.
Ideally Ca and alk should be about 350ppm and ~3mEq/l when mixed with RO. Some salts are higher.
Since you have nothing removing Ca fromsolution, bi-weekly water changes will be more than enough to keep your levels steady.
I recommend IO or Kent salt, but that's up to you.

Once you've got the levels I suggest, scrape some of the purple off the rocks; this will spread the spores through the tank and speed up the process. Your lights are fine for corraline algae.

Invigor
04-16-2005, 03:49 AM
I used red sea salt when I started, then switched to IO and it was like the IO seeded coraline, because it grew like a weed soon after I switched.

Rikko
04-16-2005, 04:40 AM
I agree with Brad - invest in a good Ca and Alk test kit. I've tried a couple and was happy with Salifert for Ca (plus popular opinion helped that). I'm happy with my Hagen alk ("KH") test kit - it's quicker than the Salifert one.

To actually boost your calcium without adding new equipment, I'd suggest using a calcium chloride additive over calcium hydroxide. It's available in fish stores as Kent Turbo Calcium and other brands.. There are also generics, if you can trust their composition. You might have better luck in Edmonton finding Dowflake - it's commonly sold as salt-free ice melter. I wasn't able to turn up much in Vancouver... Seems we only need salt once every couple of years. You can also find calcium chloride in pool supply stores, but check with the manufacturer about the exact composition.

Aquattro
04-16-2005, 05:26 AM
To actually boost your calcium without adding new equipment, I'd suggest using a calcium chloride additive over calcium hydroxide.

Not the advice I'd give. CaOH provides a balanced mix of Ca and alk, whereas CaCl only gives Ca, and contributes an excess of chloride ions which can accumulate.
For now though, additives aren't even needed. Nothing in the tank consumes Ca, so regular partial water changes with good salt will supply enough Ca for coralline.
When Ca demand goes up, using one of the 2 part solutions would be the best bet for supplementation.
And although turbo calcium is a great product, it's best used for the occasional adjustment of Ca rather than maintenance.

EmilyB
04-16-2005, 07:53 AM
I find boosting the alk a bit in my non-supplemented tanks keeps algae under control. You should get some good test kits tho.

Beverly
04-16-2005, 01:34 PM
Keep a log of test results and what and how much you add to correct imbalances.

Here are some articles on reef chemistry:

Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Magnesium in Reef Aquaria:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2003/chem.htm

Tank Volume Calculator:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/volcalc.html

The Reef Chemistry Calculator:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

fishguyxd
04-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Thanks to everyone for there info. I know I have to get a proper test kit and, the reason I bought that salt was it was 40.00 for a huge pail.

signed AL :smile:

Beverly
04-16-2005, 02:33 PM
Al,

Get kits and supplements for alk, Ca and Mg. All are important for balanced reef chemistry.

fishguyxd
04-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Well did water change and have a ca test kit and added some liquid calcium and now the tank shows 400/mg/l still have to get a proper alk kit
but will be keeping a close watch.

Just wodering what are the good test kits out there I had a sales guy really push red sea and sea chem ,but I figured with the layer of dust on the boxes probably not a good thing HMMM ....

Invigor
04-17-2005, 03:50 PM
seachem is a worthy company, but I would try to get a fresh test kit as some go "bad" and don't work very well after they get old