SJSobczyk
04-15-2005, 08:26 PM
Hey people,

Trying to figure out the best pricing in the city for LR. I know this much:

Oceans: $8.99/pound
Wais: $8.99/pound
Big als: not even worth my time
Golds: ?

JL seems to be the place to go. Even with $45 shipping it still works out to around $5-7.50/pound. I guess the one negative thing behind it is that you do not get to choose your pieces.

SJS

monza
04-15-2005, 09:13 PM
Grind Wai's, buy enough he'll do 6.99 a pound.

Dave

takphan
04-15-2005, 11:26 PM
very often Gold will have LR for $4.99/lbs

outtafocus
04-16-2005, 08:53 PM
Why do you say Big Als isnt worth your time?
I am new to the concept of reef keeping and I am currently shopping for a live rock supplier.
I am looking to purchase uncured rock, which shop is best to buy uncured?

Do you feel it is better to just pick through the tanks in the shops and get cured or at least partially cured rock?
Thanks for the help.

vertex
04-17-2005, 05:19 AM
outtafocus, you just need to see the rock at Wai's and Oceans, and you'll realize why Big Al's rock is a waste of time (especially for the money). The stuff from Wai's and Oceans has LOTS of life on it and much more purple coraline algae, just looks wai :lol: nicer if you know what I mean.

I've not seen any of the new shipments in at golds, but I've got coral there on Live rock and it's all been littered with life and color...

takphan
04-17-2005, 05:26 PM
I am currently shopping for a live rock supplier.

Hi outtafocus
welcome to canreef :biggrin:

when shopping to "live rocks" make sure it is full of lives.
if you can see interesting living stuffs and critters on it then it is good stuff.

most of the live rock when shipped to LFS is uncure, if you want uncure live rock then buy from a newly arrived shipment.
if you wait for a while then that shipment will be cured.

i don't think there is a price difference between cured and uncure in Calgary LFS's

IME, don't buy all your LR at once. it will but a dent in your wallet
chery pick your show piece LR and use base rock for the rest

G/L

Tak

outtafocus
04-17-2005, 09:47 PM
thanks

whaase
04-17-2005, 10:58 PM
I just got some from Golds today. They have quite a bit right now. I got mine for 7.99/lbs. No 5.99 today :biggrin:

They are great prices for most live stock.

Walter

G1GY
04-18-2005, 06:47 PM
I just got some from Golds today. They have quite a bit right now. I got mine for 7.99/lbs. No 5.99 today :biggrin:

They are great prices for most live stock.

Walter

That's because you got Indo. Fiji is $5.99 a pound when they have it in. :smile:

SJSobczyk
04-18-2005, 08:05 PM
Good deal, thanks folks!

I was a little hesitant ordering from JL due to the fact i couldnt pick the pieces i wanted. Looks as though i will be heading down to Golds.

Thanks again,

SJS