PDA

View Full Version : Was that a snap crackle or pop?

Zerandise
04-14-2005, 03:50 AM
First let me say

I love my wife.

So me and my wife are sitting on our computers doing our thing. Her desk is about 2 feet from my 140g tank. We are having some nice happy quiet time when she perks her ear toward my tank and says " That is the oddest sound lover...". I look up at her and ask that sound it is. Her innocent reply is " snapping/popping sound your tank makes". Come to find out a couple weeks before she had started to hear this snapping noise on one end of my tank. she would hear it nightly. We work opposite hours so she is near my tank when lights are off and all is calm, or so i had thought.

She asked if a popping noise is a back thing! Im sure now after a week of listening to it that its just a pistal shrimp. My jaw sure did drop tho at those first few pops... A mantis inan invert tank would not be a good thing!!!!

Coldwater
04-14-2005, 04:11 AM
Ya I really doubt its a Mantis. More often than not its a Pistol Shrimp. Just because it "pops" doesnt mean its a mantis. Still it would be good to find out.

Matt

Willow
04-14-2005, 05:48 AM
welcome to the snapping club.

Aquattro
04-14-2005, 05:55 AM
welcome to the snapping club.

Hope we don't need a separate forum for that club!! :razz:

Rikko
04-14-2005, 06:28 AM
First let me say

I love my wife.

So me and my wife are sitting on our computers doing our thing. Her desk is about 2 feet from my 140g tank. We are having some nice happy quiet time

That's as far as I got. LMAO

Azilla
04-15-2005, 06:54 PM
i caught a mantis in my tank but i also have clickin in my tank once u know what a mantis sounds like its easy to tall. My mantis was a rapid click compared to my single POP! sound big diff. Only way u will tell is if u hear the sound of a mantis.

Beverly
04-15-2005, 09:43 PM
First let me say

I love my wife.

I read your whole post. Don't know much about snapping sounds and sorry I have nothing to add. But what a lovely way to begin a post :biggrin:

untamed
04-17-2005, 12:03 AM
In my experience, a mantis will generally make himself seen and heard. The pistol shrimp I have is exceedingly shy and though I can hear him, I almost never see him. Mantis are always sticking their little eyes out and looking around for something to jump!