PDA

View Full Version : Need help with microbubbles !

Jim Barry
04-13-2005, 09:35 PM
I just finished the plumbing in my new tank and filled it a couple days ago.

I am now having huge problems with microbubbles.

The tank is on the main floor with the sump in the basement. I have 2 external overflows with Durso's. The 1.5" drain lines run down to the basement and follow 2- 90 degree turns before reaching the sump. The waters enters into a pail in the sump and then overflows to reduce the bubbles somewhat. In the sump,there is an eggcrate partition with filter material just before the exit to the pump.

The problem is the the force of the water when it hits the sump. There is quite a bit of turbulence, causing more bubbles.

I am not sure if I should be building some sort of baffles ( I don't want to drain the sump (:frown: ), or if I can put more turns in the piping to reduced the downward pressure. Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

one other thing..............

My Dursos are also very noisy. The "flushing sound" is because the water level in the overflows keep rising and falling. I am adjusting the air intake on the top of the durso's, but it does not help maintain a steady level of water in the overflow.

Thanks

Jim

Here are some pics of the sump....

http://members.shaw.ca/jim.barry/sump1.JPG

http://members.shaw.ca/jim.barry/sump3.JPG

Willow
04-13-2005, 09:44 PM
how about a filter sock(s)?

Aquattro
04-13-2005, 10:13 PM
I've always done baffles, for that very reason. Really, I'd drain the sump and add baffles.

Delphinus
04-13-2005, 10:21 PM
Baffles are the best way to go.

Adding additional bends in the lines, I don't think will really help. This will only increase the backpressure on the lines meaning the water level will be higher in the main tank.

You could also maybe look at using a larger bucket, perhaps a 5g (it would have to sit outside the sump so some creativity is in order), but, I think the baffles will work better.

As far the Durso flushes, it does sound as if there is some kind of air adjustment still needed. Perhaps the current holes don't allow for enough intake? Can you take some pictures with close-ups of the dursos and your overflows?

danny zubot
04-13-2005, 10:28 PM
Jim, you could fill that bucket and your sump with some live rock, but baffles are the best solution.

johnny rock
04-13-2005, 11:23 PM
give it some time for the pipes to be coated with slime algea and stuff. all new tanks go thru this. if after say 4 weeks nothing has changed then look at your turn over rate.

kari
04-13-2005, 11:51 PM
Sorry to say but time will not take out those bubbles. Also, using filter material will result in more maintenance.

The only four options that pop into my little brain are,

1. Quick & Dirty method- Bucket(a) in a bucket(b.) Bucket-a has an outlet near the top and bucket-b has an outlet near the bottom opposite the pump side of the sump. Takes up a lot space in the sump though.

2. Drain the sump and silicon in some glass baffles.

3. Houdini in some pre-made acrylic baffles.

4. Use a diy acrylic baffle box insert that just drops into the sump under the pipes coming from the tank. Thats what I did since my sump is an irregular shaped plastic tub and also did not want to shut down the system. The drawback is the cost of materials is more then option 1-3.

Nemo
04-14-2005, 04:04 AM
in my sump I have 2 baffles with a filter in between, as the water flows through the filter material through the baffles my bubbles are gone.
I have a beckett style skimmer in my sump the pushes out a ton of bubbles and this system works like a charm.

Robert

monza
04-14-2005, 05:44 AM
Sorry to agree with every one baffles!

Are your Dursos two in one over flow or two seperate overflows?

Dave

muck
04-14-2005, 05:54 AM
What if you change out the 90s to 45s. Wouldn't this help the water flow smoother and prevent the water from falling into itself and create more bubbles.
(might help to steady the level in the overflows as well)

StirCrazy
04-14-2005, 01:46 PM
What if you change out the 90s to 45s. Wouldn't this help the water flow smoother and prevent the water from falling into itself and create more bubbles.
(might help to steady the level in the overflows as well)

nope, assuming he is using some sort of durso overflow they work by allowing air in the pipe to maintain a specific amount of suction.. always going to have bubbles.

Like everyone else, if you can shut down the sump, dry it out, silicone acrylic baffels let it set up over night and hook it back up.

here is how I did mine if your looking for ideas
http://members.shaw.ca/s.l.s/diy/sump/index.html

Steve

muck
04-14-2005, 02:37 PM
nope, assuming he is using some sort of durso overflow they work by allowing air in the pipe to maintain a specific amount of suction.. always going to have bubbles.

I realize there will always be bubbles but having the water fall vertically then take a 90° turn to flow horizontally would slow down the flow alot. The falling water from upstairs would hit the water in the horizontal pipe and cause more mixing and crashing in the pipe then nessecary. The falling water is getting backed up and building up pressure in the pipe. Once the pressure hits a certain point it has enough force to push the water out faster. I also believe this is what is causing his overflow level to fluxuate. I had the same problem in my overflow setup. I have yet to test this theory but from everything I have read over the last 6 months or so states its best to have at least a slight downward angle on all your overflow plumbing to keep the water moving. I think it would definately help but I also do agree that baffles are a nessecity for micro bubble removal.