PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a tank drilled in Victoria?

Noj
04-13-2005, 05:55 PM
Hey everyone, looking to get a 40gal tank drilled. Wendell at OA is sending over the overflow, bulkheads and standpipe.

I have little knowledge about this. So if anyone knows a good place to get a tank drilled, and a good set up for plumbing I'd appreciate it!

thanks

-Cam

Aquattro
04-13-2005, 10:16 PM
Cam, there is a glass shop behind the Ford dealer near Hillside & Douglas, they drilled mine for about $25.

Noj
04-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Will they put in the bulkhead too for $25?

thanks

Aquattro
04-13-2005, 10:44 PM
Will they put in the bulkhead too for $25?

thanks

No, you put it in yourself. It's a giant nut and bolt, essentially. You drop the cone part thru the hole, screw the flange on the threads from the bottom. Wet the gasket a bit before tightening (by hand), and you're good to go.

Noj
04-13-2005, 10:57 PM
So it is as fool proof as people keep telling me :confused:

I think I like the idea of being able to point the finger at someone else if my floor turns into a pool!!

Now, if I have the tank drilled in the bottom left corner of the tank, where should the retun hole be? top right, bottom right, middle???

Thanks

Aquattro
04-13-2005, 11:36 PM
return hole? I don't use a return hole, but rather have a pipe coming over the top of the tank. My latest tank has a sea swirl on the return, so only one hole going out.

Oh, and if someone installed the bulkhead and it leaked, they wouldn't accept liability. It's like screwing ina lightbulb though, so just do it! :razz:

Noj
04-13-2005, 11:41 PM
Brad - If you could, would you have the return hole drilled? Or does it make no difference?

What is the best method for installing baffles for a sump?

Also, in the market for a mag 9 or 12....if anyone has one or knows of one.

Thanks

Aquattro
04-13-2005, 11:52 PM
no, I wouldn't drill a return hole, no point and just an extra point that could fail. The line up over the bakc is the way to go, IMO.

Lots of DIY sites explaining sumps and baffles, shouldn't be tough to find pics. If you're in town, Safari has baffles on their sumps, take a look at them.

mid-island reef
04-14-2005, 05:18 AM
Hey all,

I have used Mag pumps many times , but on my last couple of tanks have used the new Pentair Quiet one pumps for the sump. In my 90 sump I use a model 5000 that gives me about 1200 gph @ 4' of head. So far it is working well and has no noise and very little vibration. The other thing I like about them is they have a 1" output line rather than the 3/4" that the mags have.
I got mine at my local LFS in Duncan for $175 ....... list is $229.

Cheers...

mid-island reef
04-14-2005, 05:24 AM
one more thing ...

No glass shop or Sea Star will garantee to not break your tank in the process of drilling it. 40 gallon tanks are cheap ..... my advice would be to buy a new one drilled. As for the return line ....... like Brad mine are drilled in the bottom for the overflow and I return over the top of the tank. ( I have 3 like this )If you decide you want to have the return hole in the bottom, your going to have to install a check valve inline to stop draining your tank if the power goes off.

just my 2 cents worth ....

Aquattro
04-14-2005, 05:37 AM
Driling a 40g is pretty safe. It's 3/8" glass and shouldn't crack. I've only had small tanks crack with thin glass.
Worst case, the shop will usually sell you a new piece of glass at cost with a hole in it. You just swap out the piece. Not tons of fun, but simple enough.