PDA

View Full Version : Bought a small Naso, won't eat

Bob I
04-13-2005, 04:00 PM
Maybe someone else has an idea :idea: . I bought a small Naso Tang on Saturday. It refuses to eat. I tried everything including Nori. It shows an interest as food drifts by, but it will grab it, and spit it out right away :sad: The last thing I can think of is to try some Caulerpa. Any thoughts :question:

Delphinus
04-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Might be worth a try and you're welcome to some of my caulerpa if you need some, but I kind of have my doubts that will work. No fish of mine has ever developed a taste for it...

Not sure what to suggest. I would think he will eventually get hungry and start taking the offered foods... if not .. then something is not right and his future is possibly limited anyhow.

Have you tried flakes? Maybe some spirulina?

Maybe some nori but offered in a different manner? I.e., if you're doing the rolled up nori-on-a-pipe maybe try some in a clip (or vice versa), or perhaps a small piece tied down with elastic to a small rock.

I haven't fed romaine to my fish in years, but years ago I would, and the one tang I had back then would make quick work of a leaf in a clip. Maybe worth a shot, and then you can wean him onto nori and so on..

Maybe the mysis is too large? Have you tried smaller pieces (maybe try the SW mysis, it's not as good as the FW mysis but it's smaller).. or try chopping the larger pieces down ...

Anyhow, good luck.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Somebody I knew had bought a large Naso from the LFS & it wouldn't eat anything else but grape caulerpa for a month or two. My fish love grape caulerpa & feather so try those if you have access to any.

Good luck.

Anthony

Delphinus
04-13-2005, 04:18 PM
I think I have some small pieces of grape still growing somewhere (ugh, hate the stuff, can't seem to eradicate it). If you need some let me know. Also have some razor (I think it's the same species just seems to mutate itself on its own). Anyhow like I said let me know.

Bob I
04-13-2005, 04:39 PM
Ross is bringing over some Caulerpa tonight, so I will give that a shot. I have tried OSI flake food also, but so far no luck. :sad: . I realise that a fish who won't eat is usually a lost cause, but I hoped someone would have an idea. :mrgreen:

Delphinus
04-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Well, best of luck. I have no idea how naso's are but generally I've found that with most fish that I've had, that it usually takes a few days to get used to the new surroundings and start taking offered foods.. So a few days may not be all that unusual (I'm speculating), but yeah, if it's been since Saturday.. he has to start eating sooner or later... good luck.

AJ_77
04-13-2005, 05:48 PM
It shows an interest as food drifts by, but it will grab it, and spit it out right away :sad:
If it's just a few days, I wouldn't worry too much. I've had tangs do the same thing, and they ate once they got hungry enough and had time to adjust to the new tank.

Even had a small Naso do that once, and it went to Tim's tank a hungry pig. My blonde Naso eats everything - and I mean everything. Algae from the refuge, glass scrapings, baby brittle stars, sand, you name it... as well as all the prepared food I can get to him. Then it's "torpedo time." :eek: He lives to eat...

Hope you have lots of mysis - have you tried some little shavings of that?

Invigor
04-13-2005, 07:53 PM
soaking some food in cyclopeeze might help too, worked for my sailfin tang

pluff
04-13-2005, 10:19 PM
My Naso loves Blood Worms... Have you tried those? If not its worth a try.

Good Luck,

Pluff

Beverly
04-13-2005, 10:22 PM
boB,

What was it eating at the lfs?

kari
04-14-2005, 12:00 AM
How about fresh sea food from the market?

Bob I
04-15-2005, 01:19 AM
Just a quick update. I found a jar of that FD Cyclop eeze laying around, so I thought I would try some of that. Surprisingly he took to that like a duck to water. :eek: He will have trouble making a real meal of that, but perhaps he will try something else later. :mrgreen:

AJ_77
04-15-2005, 02:31 AM
Woo-hoo! Good news. Is it a regular or a blonde Naso?

monza
04-15-2005, 06:07 AM
Cyclop eeze ...do you have any frozen? I have yet to see a fish not eat it.

Dave

IslandReefer
04-15-2005, 07:23 AM
I have gotten even a six lined wrasse to eat nori by dipping it in a little garlic extract (garlic extreme..thanks Deb) solution....and my tangs go crazy, might be worth a try.
Good Luck

Bob I
04-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Cyclop eeze ...do you have any frozen? I have yet to see a fish not eat it.

Dave

I have no frozen, who sells that locally :question: Also where does one get that Garlic Extreme :question:

AJ_77
04-15-2005, 04:43 PM
I think Albert can source the frozen Bob, but doesn't it come in huge slabs only? I see rumours of smaller packs, but has it come out yet?

The garlic is much like the Kyolic liquid garlic extract that I get at the health food store in Arbour Lake - heck, you could walk there.

Bob I
04-15-2005, 05:08 PM
The garlic is much like the Kyolic liquid garlic extract that I get at the health food store in Arbour Lake - heck, you could walk there.

Are you thinking of the Whole Food Market across the street from me in Crowfoot Center. :question:

AJ_77
04-15-2005, 05:19 PM

Are you thinking of the Whole Food Market across the street from me in Crowfoot Center. :question:

no no no, Amaranth Whole Foods in Arbour Lake - right across the street from the community center and the lake there. they were in Crowfoot but moved.

on the corner? strip mall? it's 2 minutes from you.

monza
04-15-2005, 08:58 PM
I have no frozen, who sells that locally

Wai's, big slabs you could split it with some one. I could give you some to try, if we could hook up in the next day or so.
PM me

Dave

EmilyB
04-16-2005, 12:29 AM
The Garlic Extreme by Kent is really worth every penny. It is refined to the active ingredient in garlic which I can't name off the top of my head. (Maybe the human stuff is the same?)

I know however, the fish can smell it from another room....hehehe (as we can). Instructions are explicit to say only a couple drops, don't know if that applies to regular garlic, but thought I should mention it. I won't ever be without the Kent Garlic Extreme to get new fish eating well, or for a quick round with some stress ick.

I think Pisces has it and it costs a veritable fortune. I got mine at J&L.

DiscusZ
04-16-2005, 02:09 PM
I have used fresh crushed garlic on a sheet of nori, everyone went crazy for it, the microsecond it hit the water.

I used this method (less the nori) to feed my Discus when they would not it.. it works 95% of the time

Jim

Bob I
04-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Here's an update on the little guy. He started to eat pretty well everything with great gusto. Last night he was moved into my 75 gallon tank. This morning he looks like he is enjoying his new quarters. :multi:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-26-2005, 04:27 PM
Great to hear Bob.

Glad things have worked out.

Anthony