PDA

View Full Version : Clown behavior?

lindsayf
04-11-2005, 06:26 PM
I have a pair of clowns that I have had for almost a year (have always been happy and healthy) and for the last week they have been fighting, not really violently but none the less fighting. They each have a red dot on opposite lips like they bit each others mouths. They are still active and eat well. Is this normal behavior when they are deciding who will be dominant? They are still only a little over an inch long.

Lindsay

danny zubot
04-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Yes, its sounds like they are trying to figure out who will be the dominant. I've never seen clowns actually bite each other's faces though. You could try to isolate one of them for a month, this should allow the other to establish her dominants and then introduce the other back into the tank. I could see this going terribly wrong or not work at all, maybe get a second opinion first.

rickjames
04-11-2005, 07:44 PM
What species are they? As long as there isn't too much physical damage or stress between the two I would let them be, they will figure things out themselves. One of them will become boss! :smile:

Beverly
04-11-2005, 08:35 PM
One of them will become boss! :smile:

And she will be female :biggrin: :razz:

rickjames
04-11-2005, 09:35 PM
And she will be female :biggrin: :razz:

Who said fish aren't like humans? :lol:

lindsayf
04-12-2005, 03:06 AM
their false percula's

Reefhawk1
04-12-2005, 03:46 AM
I have seen my old false percs bite each others mouths and whip each other around. In time the female will take dominance and the scrapping will fade away.

Stan

Beverly
04-12-2005, 12:34 PM
lindsayf,

It does sound kind of strange for them to be establishing dominance after being together for a year. Usually, they do this very soon into their relationship, especially ocellaris.

What sized tank are they in? Have you moved them to a different tank lately? Reaquascaped?

kuatto
04-12-2005, 02:08 PM
:mrgreen: Me and Karen have been togather for 6 years,and we're still fighting for dominance :razz: :mrgreen: ......

Beverly
04-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Jim,

After 12 years together, Chris and I have the dominance thing down pat :biggrin: Indeed, it took awhile, but he has finally realized I run the show at home and he runs the show at work (stupid bosses notwithstanding) :razz:

lindsayf
04-12-2005, 10:02 PM
Beverly,

They've been in a 55 Gallon tank since I got them, they were my first fish so I didn't quarantine them. I haven't reaquascaped or added any new fish. Their tank mates include a six line wrasse, a green clown goby, a purple gramma and 2 cleaner shrimp and assorted crabs and snails.

Beverly
04-12-2005, 10:30 PM
All I can say is that it is a little strange that they started fighting after so long together. How are they doing today? Still scrapping?