PDA

View Full Version : 23 gal and a maroon

Ryan
04-11-2005, 03:48 AM
I was doing some research for a new tank, 23 gallons (24*14*16). I kinda want a tank where the fish are more out and about than one with fish you see once a week. I want a Maroon Clown, a White Stripe to be exact. I know they are aggressive fish, especially when they are spawning and to their own kind but do you think they would go good with a Bicolour Angel, Banggai Cardnal, and a 6 Line Wrasse?

I am not too worried about the Angel because it can probaly hold its own against that maroon seeing it gets as big. The 6 Line wrasse is a fast swimmer so it can just swim and hide from that Clowns. It is the Cardnal I am worried about. Maroons are fin nippers by my understanding so do you think I am going to have some problems? If not what should I replace it with?

Thanks

meltdownaverted
04-11-2005, 04:44 AM
The cardinal could possibly be at risk, but not all maroons are evil. With one you wouldn't have to worry about aggressive behavior at spawning time. I think your major problem will be that a 26g tank is not big enough for the bi colour, and pushing it for the maroon.

jws444
04-11-2005, 05:45 AM
The appropriate bioload for a 23 gallon is somewhere around 5-6 inches of fish. The maroon alone can almost be that size.

Willow
04-11-2005, 05:51 AM
my white strip maroon liked to rearrange the coral daily. not frags either, colonies of lps! good luck with that. did i mention he like to bite me eveytime i stuck my hand in the tank.

muck
04-11-2005, 05:51 AM
I think your major problem will be that a 26g tank is not big enough for the bi colour, and pushing it for the maroon.
Two fish at 6" max length in a 24" long tank... not a good idea. :frown:

Ryan
04-11-2005, 10:34 PM
Ya come to think of it your right. A Bicolour is too big.
I plan of mounting all my corals so i am not too worried about it moving them. I am prepared for the biting this dont worry me. What would be a good fish to replace the others then. I want somthing that is alway out and can hold its own. NO DAMSELS!

johnny rock
04-13-2005, 03:52 PM
have you ever seen the size of an adult maroon! tank is to small.

Ryan
04-14-2005, 03:21 AM
ya I have the tank is just about 5 times its lengh and seeing that it is a clown and wont move too far from its host it will be fine if i buy small. Atleast until I can get a bigger tank. If i run into any troubles i have many people with large tanks to hold it for me.

I have actualy been cruising around liveaquara.com and peteducation.com and am thinking of a pink skunk or a B&W ocellaris instead.

EmilyB
04-14-2005, 04:55 AM
The full grown maroon, yah. we put our pair in a 33g for a bit and they were huge. :eek:

But just as a side note, we keep a maroon pair in a 230g and the pair of bangaii went right into the anemone area with the maroons, they live there symbiotically now for some reason.

Ryan
04-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Banngais are known for hosting anemones when longspine urchins are not presant. It is odd though that the maroons allow them to be there.

Most CLowns are poor swimmer thats why you can keep them in such small tank. This omits the Clarkii clown though they are the best swimmers of them all.

Anyone know where you can find 2 inch maroons in calgary? Or Pink Skunk and B&W Ocellaris. I would like them as small as possible.

bulletsworld
04-14-2005, 09:39 PM
After having maroons on and off through the years....I find they seem to more aggressive if they host with an anemone. They nip at small fish that go near the anemone. So its really just being territorial over its space.

Also female maroons become much larger then male. I find the female's to be way more aggressive IMO. Other clowns like percula the maroon hated and each of my maroons tried to kill them. EEK! Thats been my experaince anyway.

I do really like the colors and personality of the maroons though. Its very cool to watch how them feed an anenome & rub in the tenticles. hehe My male maroon is one of my favorite fish. :mrgreen:

untamed
04-17-2005, 12:13 AM
I kept a maroon in my 30 gallon for about 4 years. He never grew very large, maybe 2" at the most. It's been 8 years since I had one and I've just purchased a new one last week.