PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a tank built?

bnhreef
04-10-2005, 04:38 PM
Hey guys,

Where has everyone that has had a tank built or knows of someone that had one built, gone to for the building of it (aquarium makers)?

Just thinking about the having the tank built by someone.

I might try this on my own. I was thinking about 1/2" glass 36x24x24 perhaps.

Thanks

Beermaster
04-10-2005, 04:39 PM
The only one i know of is Bow Valley in Calgary, but i do hear a lot of bad things about them as well, mostly time issues

bnhreef
04-10-2005, 04:47 PM
I noticed AI is bringing tanks in from Victoria. Anyone know who these guys are?

Also I read a while ago in RC about a guy in Northern Alberta who ordered his tank from eastern Canada.

I don't want to sound like I'm ready and willing to go anywhere for a tank, I just want to price this out with all the possibilities.

Thanks

PrairieReefer
04-10-2005, 05:10 PM
A tank that size is quite easy to build. With 1/2 inch glass you wouldn't need any top bracing either. I have a 47x16x24 using 3/8 glass (made by hagen) that doesn't have any top bracing. I love how open these kind of tanks are. I built my own 42x20x20 the same way.

Bob I
04-10-2005, 05:17 PM
Hey guys,

Where has everyone that has had a tank built or knows of someone that had one built, gone to for the building of it (aquarium makers)?

Just thinking about the having the tank built by someone.

I might try this on my own. I was thinking about 1/2" glass 36x24x24 perhaps.

Thanks

I have a 30"X20"X20" sitting around in Calgary. :biggrin:

mr_alberta
04-10-2005, 06:56 PM
You can contact Rusty (Russ) or Dez as I know they both have made tanks in the past. Maybe they'd be interested in helping you out? The making of the tank is the easy part. Cutting the glass...now that's tough.

kuatto
04-10-2005, 07:15 PM
You could go to Garf website and punch in the size of tank you want and it will give you a cutting list for materials,then just have the glass cut as you buy it.

mr_alberta
04-10-2005, 07:43 PM
If you are going to buy the glass pre-cut, it might be cheaper to just go thourgh Inter-American/Bow Valley :eek:

Keen
04-10-2005, 11:18 PM
I have an Extra 33gal tank laying around right now. It is 36x12x16. If you want it, pm me and we can arrange something.

Dez
04-11-2005, 12:30 AM
I just got a quote from IA for my custom 140, and after hearing the quote, I decided to build my own.

Des

rusty
04-11-2005, 01:06 AM
I just built a 114 gallon 40x30x22 :biggrin: Building it is easy, getting the glass cut to size is the hard part. Do you have the glass? If you do how old is it?
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1508IMG_0557_2-med.JPG
Here is the tank I just built its drilled with corner overflows and a coast to coast spillway across the back

Dez
04-11-2005, 01:14 AM
I just built a 114 gallon 40x30x22 :biggrin: Building it is easy, getting the glass cut to size is the hard part. Do you have the glass? If you do how old is it?

Here is the tank I just built its drilled with corner overflows and a coast to coast spillway across the back

I see that you have a lock on your cabinetry to keep the kids out :biggrin: Darn, it'll probably keep me out when I'm over too :mrgreen:

Des

bnhreef
04-11-2005, 02:12 AM
Hey Guys,

I know of a glass manufacturer rep here in town that could sell us glass. We can also specify bevelled edges with polish. Maybe we could buy as a group and get a better pricing.

Some of us who need to build a tank in the next while should set out to find the best price for glass...hopefully skipping any middlemen as possible.

Who's interested in helping?

I think the going thickness is 1/2 ". Anyone need a thicker size.

Also, try to find out about polishing/bevelling costs per inch.

Inquire also about starfire vs regular. When I has talked to this rep about a year or so ago, she had a different name for starfire, just so you know...can't remember the name of it.

The thing was they could order the glass and bring it in from their factory.

Thanks guys,

Brad

mr_alberta
04-11-2005, 07:00 AM
I might need a pane of 1/2 glass (~46"x19" IIRC). Man Brad, you've got some connections in town! :mrgreen:

Psyire
04-12-2005, 02:34 AM
I think I was the guy mentioned above that ordered one from eastern Canada.

I ordered a 180g custom from Aquarium Obsessed near Toronto. I am very pleased with the work and price. If I did it again, I would do the same.

bnhreef
04-12-2005, 03:02 AM
Yup you're definately the guy. I remember now. Is there an update on your setup?

Thanks

Psyire
04-12-2005, 03:28 AM
For the last few weeks I've been setting up my 50g. quarantine setup, which I've basically finished now. I'm still waiting for my custom sump from Barr Aquatic, and I should have that soon. I'm taking off to the bahamas for a week as well. But I should be in a better situation come the end of the month with the 180g. I'll be updating my RC thread with more info regarding my QT setup soon.

jgoldsney
04-14-2005, 08:06 PM
For glass check out Globe glass in Edmonton. (don't have the number but they are in the phone book)
i just bought some tempered glass from him and his price was teh best in town.

He mentined that he used to make aquariums but doesn't any more however he woudl be more than willing to provide the glass (he can even bend it for a custom bow front :)

he can drill holes for overflows and what ever else you need.

Hope this helps