PDA

View Full Version : 20 G Fishes?

lil_clownfish13
04-09-2005, 11:55 PM
Hey! Im just wondering what fish people keep in their 20 g tanks??? (besides clowns or damsels)

Samw
04-10-2005, 12:07 AM
Hey! Im just wondering what fish people keep in their 20 g tanks??? (besides clowns or damsels)

Dottybacks are cool. Unless you want to keep shrimp as well. From my experience though, they can kill and eat sexy shrimp and coral banded shrimp.

albert_dao
04-10-2005, 12:09 AM
Melatremus moray!

lil_clownfish13
04-10-2005, 12:30 AM
:smile: i was hoping that i could get something to put in with my pair of clowns (perc) when i upgrade them to a 20g from their current 10...

what about valentini puffers?
yellow head jawfish?

any other suggestions??

kuatto
04-10-2005, 12:48 AM
Maybe some of the smaller gobies like a yellow clown goby,or a sixline wrasse.

Beverly
04-10-2005, 01:03 AM
I wouldn't keep a sixline in a 20g. They like to power swim too much, ime.

Willow
04-10-2005, 04:06 AM
scooter blenny might be nice.

medic_eva
04-10-2005, 05:09 AM
this site is awesome and tells you a bit about the fish, and it has a special nano section for fish that only require a minimum of 10g. it's really helpful, so i hope this helps you!

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=2124

eva

Murminator
04-10-2005, 06:40 AM
I have a clown, :razz: a firefish, and goldenhead sleeper goby in my 20g high.

Delphinus
04-11-2005, 04:03 PM
[stick in the mud mode: on]

A jawfish, IMHO, will not really take well to a 20g, unless the tank were designed specifically for a jawfish (large open area with deep sandbed). In fact I would say a 20g could be more or less ideal if setup for the jawfish but the average 20g setup, I'd guess no. They are jumpers and would easily jump out of a 20g so a 100% covering would be an absolute must, BTW. So my opinion is forget the jawfish since you said you have others in there.

Ditto the comments on a sixline, 20g might work OK but not really ideal. They can get nasty if there is competition for 'pods, and they can kill competitors. And a 20g doesn't really have a sustainable population of 'pods, so ......

Also ditto on the no for the scooter blenny. Will do fine for a while but will eventually starve. I'd give it about 6 months, 12 on the outside. They just don't last very long to begin with and a 20g won't have enough pods and bugs.

I don't know anything about puffers. I thought they got too big for a 20g but I wouldn't know.

[stick in the mud mode: off]

There are a number of smaller fish who would do well.

A dottyback might work OK (they seem to do well in smaller tanks) however they can be known to be vicious tankmates, so this would have to be a careful choice. I hear good things about the orchid dottyback, Pseudochromis fridmani being less aggressive than other dottybacks. Be careful there is another dottyback, the purple dottyback which looks identical (to me anyhow) but that one is reputed to be nastier.

A fairy wrasse might be OK, although be careful on the species selection because they max out at different sizes (some around 2"-3" which would be ideal, but some grow to 6" which obviously does not belong in a 20g). I have a pair of blueside fairy wrasses (Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura) in my 20g right now. They are doing OK for now but will eventually outgrow this tank. They will max out at around 4". Lubbock's wrasses, C. lubbocki are reasonably frequently available at a very small size (1.5"- 2") and are exquisitely pretty, however, I find are exceedingly shy compared to others (I never see mine, unless he thinks I'm not in the room). And they max out at 6" apparently, so watch out for those.

Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis ( http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1158 ) maxes out at 3". That could work well.

I think the flasher/carpenters wrasses (Paracheilinus carpenteri) and filamented flasher wrasses (Paracheilinus filamentosus) may do well in a tank of that size.

Anyhow if you've read up to this point I thank you for not drifting off. :lol:

Beverly
04-11-2005, 04:19 PM
I have a pair of blueside fairy wrasses (Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura) in my 20g right now. They are doing OK for now but will eventually outgrow this tank. They will max out at around 4".

The blue sided fairy wrasse we had was about 4" and in a 120g. After observing this fish for many months, before its unfortunate tank disaster demise, I believe this fish deserved the space afforded in a 120g. Its swimming habits and natural curiousity definitely makes this fish a large tank specimen, ime.

Delphinus
04-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Oh I agree, I thought I was already hinting at that a 20g was not a good long term home, but if that was not clear then I apologize. However mine are juveniles, and are OK for now. They are growing fast, however, and they will not be in the 20g for much longer.

BTW I see I made a mistake, I said they max out at 4", in fact it is 5" (according to some sources).

(My pair's next home will be >10 times larger than their current home. :razz: Hmmmm, approximately 14 times in fact!!)

danny zubot
04-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Damsels :razz: