PDA

View Full Version : Metal Halide Radium 400w 20k

stephane
07-24-2002, 08:20 PM
I just receive my Radium 400 chipement if some of you are interested in getting some I will sell them very cheap 110$ each or 3x 300$ same bulb as online store sale 189$ each

there more info on them here http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90355&highlight=radium

[ 24 July 2002, 16:22: Message edited by: stephane ]

robby123
07-24-2002, 10:41 PM
if thats in canadain funds count me in for three
let me know about shipping and payment
thanks

Aquattro
07-24-2002, 10:45 PM
Stephane, I never got a response from my last PM....

One_Divided
07-24-2002, 11:08 PM
I will take 1 at least and I will talk to other people in town and see if they want one.. Brad?

robby123
07-28-2002, 05:29 PM
anybody get a reply from stephane? no luck here

One_Divided
07-28-2002, 05:31 PM
Nope.. me niether.. maybe he's on vacation or something? :confused:

stephane
07-30-2002, 01:37 AM
Sorry guy I was in holiday for a couple of day
I have a boat in thousand island Ontario and Im there when I could http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=612 I just came back 15 min. ago

As for the fund yes it is Canadian money and I could send them COD or Visa and I only charge what Postal service charge me no more :D

[ 29 July 2002, 21:41: Message edited by: stephane ]

AJ_77
07-30-2002, 01:41 AM
Stephane,
Do your prices include GST? ;)

Are you also supplying ballasts?

AJ

[ 29 July 2002, 21:42: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

One_Divided
07-30-2002, 01:54 AM
Stephane, you've got mail waiting from me..

Dez
07-30-2002, 02:13 AM
I would like one....can you e-mail me? des_caley@yahoo.com

Let me know how, where, when etc...thanks Stephane

des

stephane
07-30-2002, 02:20 AM
No AJ I have to charge a 7% taxe on each bulb
because I have already pay it when I buy

As for the ballast I wait for a deal on some more used HPS 430 agro (3 month used) but still waranty the price will be 75$ each

stephane
07-30-2002, 02:22 AM
One Divides and Dez you got mail :D

stephane
07-30-2002, 11:18 AM
I have the ballast,75$ each. they are 430 agro HPS
here a link http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39717&perpage=25&pagenumber=1 for those not familiar whith it they are the same ballast that PFO put in there box when you buy the HQI

[ 30 July 2002, 07:19: Message edited by: stephane ]

BC_Grl
07-31-2002, 12:49 AM
Stephane- you have mail!! :D

clintyiu
08-10-2002, 05:19 AM
I don't want to sound like a ad but thought I should share my experience with you.

I have been thinking of getting the Radium bulb for several months and was going to purchase it from J&L. But I stumbled across this post last week and saw the price. I could not believe such a deal is possible. It took me a while to decide to order 3 bulbs from Stephane.

The bulbs, individually wrapped in their own thick cardboard tubes with bubble wrap, arrived today. I immediately replaced my aging 400w Iwasaki with the new radium bulb.

The new light is AWESOME. There is no need for actinics but I might keep them for ramping down at dusk.

It's not as blue dominant as some people say but maybe the blueline ballast has something to do with that. It will be interesting to see how the spectrum shifts in a month or so.

I had some doubts about laying out $300 to someone I have never met, emailed or conversed on any of the BB's but everything turned out fine.

Thanks Stephane for making the Radiums more affordable than the Iwasaki's!

Clint

BC_Grl
08-12-2002, 10:16 PM
Clint, now aren't you lucky... one of our bulbs arrived broken (boo hoo). :(

[ 26 August 2002, 17:51: Message edited by: BC_Grl ]

clintyiu
08-12-2002, 10:32 PM
Jeanna,

Don't feel so bad because two of my bulbs have little bits on glass on the inside. Looks like the exterior case chip at the base. This could be from manufacturing or shipping. But the bulb still works fine.

Did yours break completely? You may be able to get a willing glass blower to fix it if the arc tube is still intact. However, UPS should take care of things since they are insured.

clint

StirCrazy
08-13-2002, 12:44 AM
Or mabe you could just send it back for a refund or replacement..

Steve

Kenzy
08-16-2002, 05:32 AM
Clint, which ballast are you using the radium on? the Son Argo, standard M59 or an electronic?

Thanks.

One_Divided
08-16-2002, 10:12 PM
Well I finally got mine today.. All I can say is, BROKEN! One is totally smashed and the other had chips out of the inside bulb thing (no idea how that could happen) and chips inside.. It makes a rattling noise since the metal part is not secured.. This one bulb does work, but it looks like it will snap at any minute.. I did get it running on my ballast for a test and it ran a nice white blue colour.. Much whiter then expected on a regular pfo ballast. Anyways, I expect that both bulbs will be replaced.. I called UPS and they said they don't insure items that are over 90% glass.. I payed Stephane for insurence.. Hopefully this is dealt with accordingly.. mmmmm venting... :mad:

GinKu
08-21-2002, 09:12 PM
so have u gotten them replace?

BC_Grl
08-21-2002, 09:40 PM
Ginku,
The guy we bought the bulbs from (Stephane) is away for holidays, so We have to wait til he gets back before we will know if he'll replace them.

Dez
08-22-2002, 09:58 PM
I ordered 3 and 2 were broken on arrival as well. I have to wait til Stephane gets back from holidays as well. UPS says it is insured though...

des

farmerjo90
08-22-2002, 10:59 PM
Gee, you would think with that sort of success rate on shipping glass, UPS would rethink how they are handling fragile packages.

StirCrazy
08-22-2002, 11:34 PM
*eddited by request*

I guess this was one of the benifits of buying from a LFS that Jason was talking about.

Sorry all the bulbs are broke.. and it sure doesent seem right to me.. I can see one or two being broke from shipping but not 75% of everything he has shipped..

*eddited by request*

we will never know anything till Steph gets back from holladays..

Steve

[ 23 August 2002, 18:12: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

BC_Grl
08-23-2002, 12:05 AM
Steve, I can agree with you only on some points. I, however, thought that they were not packaged carefully enough. He left them in their own tube (of course), bubble wrap around it, then put it into a hard cardboard tube and mailed it. What he should've done was possibly used popcorn stuff, and then placed them into another box with more bubble wrap or the popcorn stuff. We bought 2 bulbs. It came into 2 separate packages-- just the hardened tubes where they could've easily been thrown around. There was nothing written on the packages about the contents being glass or being FRAGILE!!!

We also said we'd pay extra for insurance. We were told UPS would pay the claim if any arrived broken. But of course, when we called UPS, they said they don't insure glass. At that time, Stephane had the responsibilty to contact us to tell us it won't be insured. We would've been able to make possibly another judgement call (say cancel the order or get it in writing that he'll replace them if they arrive broken).

If they were seconds- legally he cannot sell them as seconds without disclosing this. We asked him why were they so cheap. He told us he got at a good price through his company. Sounds reasonable...

This is not a case where I buy something from you and on the way home, it slipped out of my hand- I can't take it back because you sold me a broken item. He assured us there would be insurance to cover this -if the problem arose.

But -like you said- no one will know what will happen until Stephane gets back. I'm not sure how many messages he has waiting for him...

StirCrazy
08-23-2002, 12:10 AM
*eddited by request*

Steve

[ 23 August 2002, 18:13: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

BC_Grl
08-23-2002, 12:14 AM
Dez you said UPS said it was insured? Are you positive about that? UPS said to us that it is their policy to not insure glass.

Farmerjo90 I don't believe UPS was aware these packages contained glass. There were no markings on the container mentioning glass or fragile- and there was no notation of it on the receipt. And the majority of the responsibilty lies with the packer-- not the guy who drives/flies it around (although they are responsible to a certain extent...)-- so I am told.

EmilyB
08-23-2002, 12:37 AM
Yes, Steve

This is part of why I am willing to pay more.... :D tongue.gif ;)

One_Divided
08-23-2002, 01:29 AM
There is no reason why we should be screwed. Jeanna has pretty well summed up my same thoughts.. I made sure the bulbs would be sent insured and I payed for insurence. Had they not been insured, I wouldn't have even considered buying them. End of story.

I will be very surprised if stephane doesn't deal with this situation in a responsable manor.

[ 22 August 2002, 21:30: Message edited by: One_Divided ]

Jayson
08-23-2002, 09:50 PM
I have sold things to Stephane in the past. I feel that he is a decent guy and he will refund your money or replace your bulbs. I beleive that the packaging is a little bit of an issue.The shipper's responcibilty is to package them very well and mark them with "glass or fragile" stickers. When you are sending a light bulb that is worth alot of money it should be packaged very carefully. It is UPS's policy not to cover glass or personnel goods. If he charged you gst he is selling through a business and I am sure that he will want to keep his business name clean. I feel that we should all let Stephane come back from holidays and see what he will do before we crucify him.

stephane
08-26-2002, 09:59 PM
Wow! What a mess!

Sorry for what happen and I will refund or send you new bulb dont worry about that Im an honnest guy and I will

As for UPS insuranse that you pay yes UPS dont insured the bulb but I have not trade with UPS for the shipping but mailbox inc. a mailing compagny who will insured the bulb but only if they pack it by them self. So I gave the bulb to them and they have pack it and send them to you

Now I will call them tomorow and see what will happen but please dont treat me like a rubber I will replace the bulb or refund you even if I have to pay them from my pocket but could you please wait until I found what happend before to crusify me. Im an honnest guy but I cant control what shipping compagnie have made

As for the bulb that have glass chips inside it's normal some have it and it's done when they manufacture the bulb dont worry about it and enjoy the color that they made

stephane
08-26-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by StirCrazy:
*eddited by request*

I guess this was one of the benifits of buying from a LFS that Jason was talking about.

Sorry all the bulbs are broke.. and it sure doesent seem right to me.. I can see one or two being broke from shipping but not 75% of everything he has shipped..

*eddited by request*

we will never know anything till Steph gets back from holladays..

Steve<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">As from what I see there only 4 bulb broke of all
the one I send so it's not totaly as bad as you said! Steve please dont try to make a situation worst than it is I will refund or send new bulb

One_Divided
08-26-2002, 10:34 PM
Stephane, thanks for getting back to us right away after your trip. It's refreshing to hear that you will replace/refund the bulbs... We can communicate further over email..

Here is the chip I was talking about.. As you can see, it's in a vital place in the bulb.. The center bulb is hanging on by a thread. I am not comfertable having this bulb over my reef.

http://members.shaw.ca/limestone2/radiumchip.jpg

stephane
08-26-2002, 10:49 PM
There a page from champion who talk about glass
chips inside the bulb http://www.championlighting.com/e/env/0001-933332-2995280961-144678563-16441-8i7R5/Products/Lighting/lighting.html?link=/Products/Lighting/mhbulbs.html

One_Divided
08-26-2002, 10:55 PM
Yes, they mention chips in the bulbs, but they are refering to chips that have nothing to do with the bulb's structure. The chips in my bulb are chipped off of a specific spot (shown in the pic). I have heard of bulbs with the same flaw having the center snap right off from the heat. Could be very dangerous.

stephane
08-26-2002, 11:06 PM
Give me a couple of day I will try to fix all this
and even send your Pic to Radium to make shure there is no danger whith that bulb.

If there any problem whith it I will clame it to UPS

One_Divided
08-26-2002, 11:11 PM
Alright thanks, I'll be in touch over email..
I suspect this might be a manufacturing flaw and not shipping damage, but you never know..

-Adam

Aquattro
08-27-2002, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by stephane:

please dont treat me like a rubber... <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Stephane, need to correct your english this one time. You mean robber, not rubber. A rubber is slang for a condom!! ;)

stephane
08-29-2002, 08:52 PM
Bad new guys! first I have talk with mailbox today to know what will happen with the clame and they said that they will pay me back but it will take sometime to do it. they will only refund me the original cost of the bulb I have pay from radium and will not covert the taxe and duty I have pay :mad: second they dont want to insure any other bulb for now+ third and the worst is that Radium are in there move to take an exclusive distributor for all there product in Canada so it will only get the price higher for us

Anyway as I have said before I will refund the broken bulb to Taz, one divided, and Bc girl.(the entire price you have pay)
Even if I have not receive the money back I will do you charge back Thuesday and for those who have send me a cheque I will send you back a cheque to covert all you lost

I will refund the shipping cost to. if you have orther 2 bulb and receive one I will send you back half the shipping cost

One Divided you receive a bulb that have a ship inside and I tink there is no problem to run it as they said it's normal to see glass inside the bulb

I will be very surprise if UPS accept refund this bulb as she is not broken and light normaly
+ you beter keep it as you will never be able to get a Radium bulb that sheap again since like I said before you will have another compagny to get proffit on you head before to get it

Jayson I hoppe you will be able to continue offers Radium bulb for 135$ to all reefers here.
if you where importing them from radium direct in the past, they will not sale you any other bulb :(

Sorry to all of you that have get broken bulb but as I said that was not my fault since I have not pack them and I will even refund you from my pocket before to receive a penny from UPS

stephane
08-29-2002, 09:05 PM
I have a special tanks here to Jayson that have stop ting to get worst and asking people stop assuming ting when I was not there to defend my self.

Sorry to have flame you a bit in the past since I know now you are not only there for the $ but for the love of that hobby

My suspisious around LFS came from my long experience in that hobby I have and I see so much people get rip off by LFS that now I am alway a bit septical when they seem to good :D :D

Jayson
08-29-2002, 10:09 PM
Thanks Stephane for the comments. I guess that now you are aware of the issues that a LFS has to deal with. This is why we have to charge alittle more money. We have to provide customer service and support in case anything goes wrong. Bulb warrenty is also something we have to deal with. I will be offering the bulbs at that price for one more month as I have another pallet coming in on friday. We are also expecting more of the ballasts next week so that we can make an excellent pakage price. I hope that you work everything out with your shipper and get your money back.

Dez
08-30-2002, 08:51 PM
Jayson,

How much would shipping be to Edmonton for those 400W radiums? And is it insured shipping? Thanks,

Des

Jayson
08-30-2002, 10:06 PM
Please contact me privately. Thanks

titus
09-07-2002, 04:23 AM
Hello,

Okay. What a mess. I'm shaking my head as I read this thread. A number of things and I'm going to put it in point form only:

1) Stephane asked if it's okay for him to sell bulbs cheap (due to his business) on this board for the benefit of reefers and I gave him the okay.

2) Stephane then told me before he went away (I was away between end of June and end of August too) that he will be donating a bulb to a photo contest upon his return due to the proceeds he collected from the sell of the bulbs.

3) Stephane returned and we PMed a bit. Then he brought to my attention of this thread, which I must say I feel very very sorry for him while reading it.

4) It is frustrating and full of surprises when dealing with shipping companies. This applies to UPS or FedEx. They broke countless number of items. Regardless of how well packaged the goods are, they'll still find a way to break them. This is the case whether the product has Fragile stickers on them or not. If we have a chance to meet during a reef club meeting, you can ask me to tell you some redicoulos stories. And I mean it, approach me and ask. It's good that customers understand what some of us have to deal with from time to time.

5) I'd ask please in the future be a bit more considerate to others. Thanks to Jayson also for having to step in to moderate the thread, to prevent it from going too far, and people starting and beginning to make assumptions. Remember, the bulbs were offered at a much lowered price afterall. I'm not saying no or little profit equals no or bad service. I'm just saying hey let's give the guy a break and work things out.

Titus